Best 3'' speaker for ~0.8-0.9 litre sealed enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a task to get the best sounding cheap fullrange speaker driver for a sealed enclosure of around ~0.8-0.9 litre volume. The dimensions are a bit elongated cube, but almost any 3" will fit. I have only minimal freedom to change shape of the speaker box.

Already tested:
Monacor SP-8/4 - really really bad.
Visaton FRS8-8 - good, but no more. In comparisson with Monacor from above: top-end hi-fi.

Which else drivers from 10-20 EUR/piece range are worth trying? I am in EU, so not all brands are available. For example Hi-vi are double the price than in USA.

Tahnk you for your suggestions!

You're not going to find much significantly 'better' for that kind of money. You won't find TB or MA with units at that price, so you may need to manage your expectations a bit. The FRS8M model is a step forward, broadly speaking, from the standard unit, but not especially ideal for a compact sealed box, assuming you want a hint at some LF. On the other hand, the enclosure is so limited anyway that to a point, it's probably not worth obsessing over too much in this particular case. The Fountek FE85 is quite nice. Vifa's evergreen TC9 is popular; whether you'd find it or the others significantly 'better' than what you've tried is open to question though. The Fountek, being an alloy cone unit, will at least have the greatest chance of sounding 'different', and you might like that.

Fountek FE85

Cheap yet good.

I have it in a 1.5L Sealed Box.

Attachments

• FOUNTEK 85.jpg
    FOUNTEK 85.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 660
You're not going to find much significantly 'better' for that kind of money. You won't find TB or MA with units at that price, so you may need to manage your expectations a bit. The FRS8M model is a step forward, broadly speaking, from the standard unit, but not especially ideal for a compact sealed box, assuming you want a hint at some LF. On the other hand, the enclosure is so limited anyway that to a point, it's probably not worth obsessing over too much in this particular case. The Fountek FE85 is quite nice. Vifa's evergreen TC9 is popular; whether you'd find it or the others significantly 'better' than what you've tried is open to question though. The Fountek, being an alloy cone unit, will at least have the greatest chance of sounding 'different', and you might like that.

Thank you for comprehensive comment. Well... the Monacor and Visaton units were almost the same price, difference only of about 1 EUR, but the quality of sound is miles apart. To clarify a little the expectations: I want the most quality you can squeeze from this speaker volume and the budget. Yes, some low frequencies would be a nice touch but not the absolute must. Also, 10-15W is really enough. This will be small series of production 50-100 units where sound is integral part, so it is worth to try different drivers.

Have you tried compared FRS8 to FRS8M version? I found on the internet comments that M is inferior speaker to FRS8. Besides the more LF, what are the differences?

Definitelly Fountek FE85 and TC9 are on my list! Thank you!

What about some of the Daytons PC series? Entry FaitalPros? Are they worth trying or the same rubbish as cheap Monacor?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
As long as you don’t expect any of these drivers to go below 200Hz, try the FR58EX. The 3FE25-8 is also good. TC9FD is always a contender. The FR58EX has some incredible sounding highs and smooth midrange with great clarity. Sounds excellent with a helper woofer in a FAST. I have used this in sealed, open baffle and horn-loaded.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/296-725-fountek-fr58ex-specifications.PDF

Sealed with helper woofer here:

FR58EX and AC130F1 micro-FAST / WAW

Thanx!
FR58EX - yes, looks like a nice driver, but it is too small in diameter. Basically the shape of the mold is similar to the pipe - if the diameter for speaker is ~2" then the volume i have is even smaller than 0.8 litre.

Surprise - local shops seem to be have good prices for Faitals, so it is worth to try both: 3FE25 and 3FE22?

Well, thats encouraging. Only 1 speaker too much and 2x more volume ;)
Thanx

That's because I'm actually using it in a 3-way. The 1.5L box is the satellite. Bass is a bandpass sub.

I'm sure you can use the box you have. It won't affect the Q much.

Just beware that using it full range has some limitations.

You'll want to keep the bass away because the Xmax is +- 1.5mm

On the other end, the treble is a bit brittle.

But if you're not too fussy about sound quality and need something cheap, the FE85 is a good contender.

You'll want to keep the bass away because the Xmax is +- 1.5mm

On the other end, the treble is a bit brittle.

Does it mean, that speaker with lets say Xmax 2.5mm is more capable of producing deeper and quality bass?

Also - can brittle trebble be overcommed by the simplest filter? I have almost 0 knowledge about this part, but any simple soldering job is doable.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You will have to run a speaker simulator and see how much the cone moves. My experience is that with a small sealed chamber like this, you will be lucky to get anything below 300Hz - but that’s fine and why you should use a helper woofer as in a FAST system (Fullrange Assisted Subwoofer). To get bass, you need a vented box or a back loaded horn. The BLH will get you the most bass SPL vs a vented bass reflex box. The full range magic happens from 300Hz to maybe 6kHz or more. You don’t need to have it make bass and leave that to a woofer. But a person just starting out wants to use a full range to make bass, I know. In that case, try one of the many many designs on this Forum - but it won’t be a sealed unless you have something like an 8in or larger full range.

Some simple and popular proven designs that make bass (not party level):
Karlsonator and TABAQ both work well with 3FE25. 3FE22 is a low-Qts Motor and more suited to compact bass reflex or BLH.

Or BLH designs are out there too but quite a bit more complicated to build.

You will have to run a speaker simulator and see how much the cone moves. My experience is that with a small sealed chamber like this, you will be lucky to get anything below 300Hz - but that’s fine and why you should use a helper woofer as in a FAST system (Fullrange Assisted Subwoofer). To get bass, you need a vented box or a back loaded horn. The BLH will get you the most bass SPL vs a vented bass reflex box. The full range magic happens from 300Hz to maybe 6kHz or more. You don’t need to have it make bass and leave that to a woofer. But a person just starting out wants to use a full range to make bass, I know. In that case, try one of the many many designs on this Forum - but it won’t be a sealed unless you have something like an 8in or larger full range.

Some simple and popular proven designs that make bass (not party level):
Karlsonator and TABAQ both work well with 3FE25. 3FE22 is a low-Qts Motor and more suited to compact bass reflex or BLH.

Or BLH designs are out there too but quite a bit more complicated to build.

dear XRK,

I really understand most things you wrote and value the advice very much. DIY Cyburgs or/and TABAQ are definitelly on my list. Also, a subwoofer is a must, but this is not my headache for now. The current case is that... Task is exactly the other way around: I have to "salvage" (I think it is correct word) the overall audio quality part from the space and budget I have available: up to 20EUR/speaker, ~0.8 litre cabinet, form close to a pipe, or lets say a bit elongated cube.

I constructed some similar volume boxes from spare MDF sheets, and put there FRS8 - they sound bit better than expected, the low frequencies is the part I am worried least. Some other speakers are on delivery - will test them soon. The worst part is that there are really none proven DIY projects or at least testing done with those cabinet sizes, so I have to do lots of guessing. It is kinda time consuming and a bit expensive.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Try testing boxes made out of foam core. Costs almost noting and can sound quite good - fantastic in many cases. Your desire to get bass from 800cc volume is like extracting blood from a turnip. You might look at 3FE22 and a pair of 3in passive radiators (can be made from a pair of 3in junk drivers with mass added to cone) if you want deep bass from a compact box. You will need a program that can simulate passive radiators. But a small foam core box might let you experiment with adding mass (tape or use putty to affix coins to the dustcaps) until it sounds right. You want a lower Qts driver for this as it requires powerful motor to drive PR's.

My other suggestion is to reconsider your volume requirements and make a 0.40X Karlsonator (very compact and desktop compatible) and get 70-80Hz rich sounding bass from 3FE25 or TC9FD. Wonderful project in foam core. 4hrs on kitchen table with hot glue and razor and you have a very good sounding speaker.

385169d1385877585-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-photo-build-03.png

Plans here:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's - Page 56 - diyAudio

Try testing boxes made out of foam core. Costs almost noting and can sound quite good - fantastic in many cases. Your desire to get bass from 800cc volume is like extracting blood from a turnip. You might look at 3FE22 and a pair of 3in passive radiators (can be made from a pair of 3in junk drivers with mass added to cone) if you want deep bass from a compact box. You will need a program that can simulate passive radiators. But a small foam core box might let you experiment with adding mass (tape or use putty to affix coins to the dustcaps) until it sounds right. You want a lower Qts driver for this as it requires powerful motor to drive PR's.

My other suggestion is to reconsider your volume requirements and make a 0.40X Karlsonator (very compact and desktop compatible) and get 70-80Hz rich sounding bass from 3FE25 or TC9FD. Wonderful project in foam core. 4hrs on kitchen table with hot glue and razor and you have a very good sounding speaker.

385169d1385877585-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-photo-build-03.png

Plans here:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's - Page 56 - diyAudio

I buy leftovers from local woodworking shop, so the material cost for ~1.0 litre MDF box cost is ~0.5 EUR.

The task is a bit different: match speaker for a given cabinet, which I already described. I cannot expand it. Simple sealed box, thats it.

The is some bass from such a small box. Definitelly more than enough for a satelite type sound.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Does it mean, that speaker with lets say Xmax 2.5mm is more capable of producing deeper and quality bass?

Not really. Firstly, you're using a sealed box. Secondly, it's tiny.

If you want to use a sealed box and want low bass (40Hz~50Hz), you're looking at probably a 10" woofer and a 75L~100L box.

Also - can brittle trebble be overcommed by the simplest filter?

Not really again. But you should not be concerned with this brittle treble. It's very slight. Your ears won't bleed.

I understand that you're on a budget but you're working reversed. Normally, we get driver then find a box or fabricate one.

There are many in this forum that are willing to help. It'll save you a lot of grief if you consider their suggestions.

Cost is not the issue but ease and speed of construction using foam core and hot melt glue.

Is it the physical location that constrains your box volume?

Here are some cheap and compact PR’s.

Online Shop 2pcs 3 Inch 78MM Bass Radiator Passive Speaker For 2 - 5Inch Home-made Bluetooth Speakers Auxiliary Low Frequency Rubber DIY | Aliexpress Mobile

...well, i constructed 4 small MDF boxes in ~hour, so it is not that hard. Of course not production level but ok for testing.

YES, I am absolutelly constrained by physical location, it is a part of a bigger product, which is already 90%+ finished. I can't put any radiators.

Try SB Acoustics 10PGC21-4 3 inch fullrange. I've been running a pair in a 4X4X6 inch (internal dims) sealed box for about 3 weeks. They sound surprisingly good!

Larry

Thank you! Will add to the list.
They seem to be a new product and pricing in EU is on the upper range, but may be worth to try as it is mentioned on description that they are suitable for tiny satelites.

I understand that you're on a budget but you're working reversed. Normally, we get driver then find a box or fabricate one.

There are many in this forum that are willing to help. It'll save you a lot of grief if you consider their suggestions.

I know that this is not normal, but I promise, that after this task is done, I will do the next spreakers the right way. Even just for the fun of it.

The current project involves some 3d printing and already partially done molds, so I have to stick with that.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have 3fe22 8ohm in the small IKEA box.....approx 3.5litres. BR tuned to 70 something Hz iirc. Sound amazing with decent bass.....speakers in corners so some room gain.
I employ a notch filter

Powered with tpa3255 I can nearly max the volume out without clip or bottoming out......material depending.

They have really surprised me and are amazing for the money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.