Fostex FE206En Series Notch Filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi firends.

i have a dude.

Need this driver a serie notch filter for tame the resonance frequency (about 120 0hms in 45hz ) ?

Thanks.

Santiago

Attachments

• fe206en-1.jpg
    fe206en-1.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 518
  • fe206en_ml.jpg
    fe206en_ml.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
here you go - why do you wish to null the impedance peak? - I assume you're using it open baffle.

I used this calculator: Series Notch Filter Designer / Calculator

then double checked it with the "Filter Wizard" section of Hornresp. I also used 4.5mH as close
to the calculation saying "4.7mH" That's a pretty big electrolytic capacitor value wise.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
the filter's effect with speaker "in" an enclosure appears to flatten the Z peaks including one below tuning - but it also lowers the overall impedance to a degree. I used a Schmacks horn as was the only blh in my current hornresp library:

The Schmacks horn is tuned pretty close to 45Hz in the first place so its impedance at that point is around 8 ohms
without any filter. Putting a speaker into an enclosure will alter peaks placement vs free air or open baffle operation (which is pretty close to free air). The filter's impedance is in parallel with that of the speaker / driver combo.

Look:

oWAI1zH.png

Last edited:
if using a tube amplifier and especially one without global negative feedback, then the notch filter's effect could reduce the bass output somewhat in relation to the rest of the spectrum. Since, I'm not smart enough to do match, I think of it as a frequency dependent voltage divider effect where the source impedance is the series part and variable part, the speaker/cabinet shunt load.

xGUjbmJ.png

that's my old graph - that one lower peak is part of 206's character. If you have any measuring gear then could use a calculator. The 45Hz null filter is an impedance notch filter with series elements across a driver. A "series" response notch filter has paralleled elements and is sometimes called a parallel notch filter.

(what effect does say putting Dacron fluff between the whizzer and main cone have with FE206en? - maybe P10 knows
of a mechanical fix short of the full EnAbL process ?)

Here's a calculator Car Audio - Parallel Notch Filter Circuit for Speaker Design

You could use a variable resistor in the notch circuit and adjust to measurement or taste

a9yuWHd.png

A narrow notch can be created by using smaller L and larger capacitance. Here's what I could do with hornresp -

vnJ2fYa.png9

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Owning some 206's, I can say -

You can chase those high Q peaks, and you may find that they vary with position.

I have had better luck with a shelving network, something similar to the attached.

Attachments

• fostex eq1.gif
    fostex eq1.gif
    3 KB · Views: 184
  • fostex eq2.gif
    fostex eq2.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 169
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.