Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can I build sometime similar to Voxativ 9.87?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2019, 02:20 AM   #1
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Can I build sometime similar to Voxativ 9.87?

Hi,

I found this system Voxativ 9.87 costing about US$40,000. You guys think a speaker system can be built to sound similar to this and I DON'T mean a clone. The website is Voxativ 9.87 SYSTEM.
One image and tech spec are attached.

Initial Thoughts

Full range driver already available: Tang Bang w8-1808 or 1772 or equivalent or similar
Ripole construction: Readily available.

It can be built based on combo passive xover and solid-state driven ripole OR active(DSP) xover. My initial thoughts it will sound quite good and outlay costs low or quite manageable. If not please explain. Thanks for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voxativ9.87Pic.JPG (26.3 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Voxativ9.87_tech.JPG (29.3 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by ttan98; 23rd May 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:59 AM   #2
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Voxative drivers are very pricey… my take on te W9-1808 & the 1772 is that they are overpriced for the sonics. My preference of the 2 is the 1808.

I hav eyet to see a Voxativ let along hear it, but you will probably need something better than the TB.

dave
Old 23rd May 2019, 03:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Voxative drivers are very pricey… my take on te W9-1808 & the 1772 is that they are overpriced for the sonics. My preference of the 2 is the 1808.

I hav eyet to see a Voxativ let along hear it, but you will probably need something better than the TB.

dave
The Look of 9.87 is achievable ask a carpenter or craftsman to make one, less $5000/pair? A lot of leftovers for drivers. The main thrust of this project is to build a high-quality sounding system with adequate aesthetics, look is NOT a priority.
Better quality Full Range what brand/model do you suggest/recommend?
Old 23rd May 2019, 03:43 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have directly compared the TBs to the Marl Audio Alpair 10s which i prefer by a sizable margin. EnABLed of course.

dave
Old 23rd May 2019, 04:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have directly compared the TBs to the Marl Audio Alpair 10s which i prefer by a sizable margin. EnABLed of course.

dave
went to Mark Audio website I CANNOT find this model: Mark Audio Alpair 10s, there are 10M and 10P?
Old 23rd May 2019, 05:24 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Mark Audio website is very out-of-date. The current Alpair 10s are the A10.3 (metal) and the A10p (paper).

Madisound has the T/S data, Drive drawings at frugal-phile.com.

dave
Old 23rd May 2019, 06:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Mark Audio website is very out-of-date. The current Alpair 10s are the A10.3 (metal) and the A10p (paper).

Madisound has the T/S data, Drive drawings at frugal-phile.com.

dave
ALternative name from Madisound:
Markaudio Alpair-10M Grey 6" Full Range Gen 3 or in short A10.3
Old 25th May 2019, 09:19 PM   #8
Mattes is offline Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

sure it can be done. W-1808 is a good start for the money in my opinion. Of course, there are alternatives to the Voxativ drivers, have a look at Seas Exotic, EMS, Supravox, Fertinacoustics, search for remaining Feastrex or chase perfect Coral Beta 8... and many more.
What is "better" in the end will of course depend on compromises chosen and will be a subjective matter - objectively such system, judged on measurements, will be easily beaten (you´ll find some Voxativ third party measurements in the net as well, not the makers fantasy data). You´ll also find a lot of info on a ripol woofer, that should be easy and has been done.
However, keep us informed of your thoughts and choices!

All the best

Mattes
Old 25th May 2019, 10:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Another approach would be to build a vented bipole(down firing) with 2*Alpair 10.3 back to back(currently $85 each at Madisound), will give you a total of 94dB @ 4 ohm.
Old 26th May 2019, 12:18 AM   #10
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Another option... try the fullrangers from lii-audio.com
Beautifully made Chinese clones of the Coral drivers.

Can I build sometime similar to Voxativ 9.87?Hide this!Advertise here!