Can I build sometime similar to Voxativ 9.87?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I found this system Voxativ 9.87 costing about US$40,000. You guys think a speaker system can be built to sound similar to this and I DON'T mean a clone. The website is Voxativ 9.87 SYSTEM.
One image and tech spec are attached.

Initial Thoughts

Full range driver already available: Tang Bang w8-1808 or 1772 or equivalent or similar
Ripole construction: Readily available.

It can be built based on combo passive xover and solid-state driven ripole OR active(DSP) xover. My initial thoughts it will sound quite good and outlay costs low or quite manageable. If not please explain. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• Voxativ9.87Pic.JPG
    Voxativ9.87Pic.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Voxativ9.87_tech.JPG
    Voxativ9.87_tech.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Voxative drivers are very pricey… my take on te W9-1808 & the 1772 is that they are overpriced for the sonics. My preference of the 2 is the 1808.

I hav eyet to see a Voxativ let along hear it, but you will probably need something better than the TB.

dave

The Look of 9.87 is achievable ask a carpenter or craftsman to make one, less $5000/pair? A lot of leftovers for drivers. The main thrust of this project is to build a high-quality sounding system with adequate aesthetics, look is NOT a priority.
Better quality Full Range what brand/model do you suggest/recommend?

Hi,

sure it can be done. W-1808 is a good start for the money in my opinion. Of course, there are alternatives to the Voxativ drivers, have a look at Seas Exotic, EMS, Supravox, Fertinacoustics, search for remaining Feastrex or chase perfect Coral Beta 8... and many more.
What is "better" in the end will of course depend on compromises chosen and will be a subjective matter - objectively such system, judged on measurements, will be easily beaten (you´ll find some Voxativ third party measurements in the net as well, not the makers fantasy data). You´ll also find a lot of info on a ripol woofer, that should be easy and has been done.
However, keep us informed of your thoughts and choices!

All the best

Mattes

Have you heard this speaker? What in particular do you like about the sound?

Haven't heard live but heard them played on Youtube difficult to judge on Youtube. I don't intend to 'duplicate' the sound and what I like is the speakers' configuration/topology. I have experience with building Full Ranger(different make of FF will give you different sound characteristics) and Ripole and I think I can make them work well together. The final sound with wide/open(particularly FF in bipole mode) with very good bass extension, the overall sound will BIG and WIDE.
One good feature about this project is that you can either spend a lot of money ie the FF driver(Lowther, Sonido)) or on the cheap eg Alpair 10.3. The Ripole is can be built too without costing heaps, there are plenty of Very cheap 15" woofers floating around, and the sound will astonish you, they will give you around 30-150 Hertz without too much effort.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.