Full range line array for wall or corner placement

at last something that makes sense

Tested D2 with and without a felt shield between it and D1.

attachment.php

The shield made the D2 output look like the D1 output!

Attachments

• Very end drivers are lower in output because clos mic picks up sound from adjacent drivers and i.jpg
    Very end drivers are lower in output because clos mic picks up sound from adjacent drivers and i.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 293
well with both arrays measuring almost identically, there is no longer reason to suspect a problem. The real problem was the first array simply didn't have enough stuffing in it to absorb lengthwise reflections off the ends. Along the way to discovering that, I found and fixed:
* a physically damaged driver
* a failed glue joint
* a bad crimp resulting in a loose, likely high resistance connection

The next challenge is taming the room enough for DSP to be able to do its thing.
A spectrogram shows what I'm up against

attachment.php

Placing a 4" panel against the side of the array tamed that ~200 hz null enough to equalize. Perhaps a panel at the first reflection point would do the same thing.

attachment.php

The rest of the reflections above 100 hz seem to be end to end reflections, which has me thinking about ways to attach absorber to the garage door.

Attachments

• spectrogrm AC off panels at side of array.jpg
    spectrogrm AC off panels at side of array.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 272
  • Difference made by panel at side.jpg
    Difference made by panel at side.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 250
I got braver on the left side and found an absorber panel configuration that works well. The 2" panel leaning against the garage wall works just as well as the precariously stacked 4" panels so that is what I will use.

attachment.php

as before, it cleaned up the FR to where it can be EQed
(this is with an 18 ms gate plus FDW5)

attachment.php

but it also cleaned up the spectrogram

attachment.php

where you can see the reason for the 18 ms gate - the reflection coming from the far end of the garage at about 20 ms.

So it looks like I need to make a pair of right angle absorber panel stands on casters for use out here in the garage/man cave

Attachments

• spectrogram right angle panels.jpg
    spectrogram right angle panels.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Freq resp right angle panels.jpg
    Freq resp right angle panels.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 247
  • right angle panels.jpg
    right angle panels.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 247
i fastened the 3 panels together today to make a fairly robust corner absorber which works quite well out in the room, as we've seen, The base with casters is still to be done but I have a scrap of plywood ready to go.

attachment.php

I had no more of the expensive acoustic fabric used on the first two panels so I covered the third with a $15 light painter's canvas dropcloth from Home Depot. Too bad the colors don't match.

Attachments

• cleaned up panels.jpg
    cleaned up panels.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 251
Now its time for DSP. Here are my miniDSP pre-EQ results. Just hi and low shelf filters and a low Q PEQ

attachment.php

without the gate, 100-220hz gets bumpy. This is just the single 15" woofer behind the corner absorber and to the left

attachment.php

attachment.php

With this I see the main treatment problem for this room - the wall behind the mic. This wall consists of re-purposed kitchen cabinets so I would have to attach any absorption to cabinet doors.

Attachments

• MiniDSP preEQ result for left, gated to exclude reflection from wall behind mic.jpg
    MiniDSP preEQ result for left, gated to exclude reflection from wall behind mic.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 244
  • left array wo gate.jpg
    left array wo gate.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 248
  • spectrogram left array with its woofer.jpg
    spectrogram left array with its woofer.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 334
The right side isn't as pretty. These measurements have no EQ and, I see belatedly, with the woofer off.. The 200 Hz dip is back partially suppressed by a 4" pad behind the array.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The spectrogram shows issues below 300 Hz. Why would it be different from the other side, other than that the woofer is off? Pretty wide time distribution of energy 100-300 Hz. Possibly due to the air filter I've got hanging down in front of the array on this side.

attachment.php

The perspective makes it look like the filter is out of the way but its halfway between the mic and the array and comes down to the level of the 3rd or 4th driver from the top of the array. With a little work, I can mount the filter tight to the ceiling... and then pad its bottom surface

Notice also the 8' tall absorber I made tacking two 2'x4' pads together - so now its too tall to fit under the garage door when its open. I got the best results when it was behind the array rather than at its side.

Attachments

• right side spectrogram.jpg
    right side spectrogram.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Right side gated at 8p8 ms to exclude 200 hz null.jpg
    Right side gated at 8p8 ms to exclude 200 hz null.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Right side sans shelf filters.jpg
    Right side sans shelf filters.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 233
  • garage both arrays.jpg
    garage both arrays.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Realized i could relocate the air filter really easily and so did that.
Rigged corner absorpion around the array and got an improved spectrogram

attachment.php

So where is that ~11 ms reflection coming from?
the speaker is
4'3" from the front wall,
5'3" from the near side wall
the mic is 11', 10' and 9' from various back wall surfaces

Those distances point to a side wall reflection but its the left hand array visible in the mirror in this picture

attachment.php

Attachments

• spectrogram right array corner absorb no air filter.jpg
    spectrogram right array corner absorb no air filter.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 254
  • first refl point.jpg
    first refl point.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 233
...Rigged corner absorpion around the array and got an improved spectrogram...

Nice was my first thought :) well up until response was under deeper compare study using smooth reference file and by trace your amplitude response over in VirtuixCad then exported IR and made a 100 % minimum phase timing belonging to that response, and now it turns out that amplitude response is too rough to interpret in time domain in that we get natural wiggles from -20 mS up to +32 mS :p see below graphs where study is based on 48kHz rate and the smooth bandpass is a 4th order HP LR at 100Hz and LP is 2nd order BW at 25kHz.

Attachments

• 1050.jpg
    1050.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 68
Impressive job of reverse engineering...

Well, its nicer than it was, believe me. And it is indeed nice if you gate out that 11 ms reflection. Here is the response with 10 and 20 ms gates

attachment.php

attachment.php

My question, not completely rhetorical, is will my brain filter out those 10+ ms reflections. By most standards, they are late. And should I therefore equalize to the gated measurement or do a room correction?

I would of course prefer to find the source of those reflections and kill them there. Got a box of roxul coming hopefully tomorrow...

Attachments

• Right side response with 10 ms gate.jpg
    Right side response with 10 ms gate.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 236
  • Right side response with 20 ms gate.jpg
    Right side response with 20 ms gate.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 243
769312d1563562949-range-line-array-wall-corner-placement-spectrogram-array-corner-absorb-air-filter-jpg

So where is that ~11 ms reflection coming from?

11 ms? you mean at ~200 Hz? The hole before it is the real problem. Meaning you have some build-up of energy that crates that hole, making the loudest part come in just after that. You can see the reflective surface at 400 Hz too, as a parallel ridge beside the main signal all the way up to 800 Hz. That's the timing you need to figure out.
It's that reflection that messes up your result.

Thanks. I was looking but not seeing.

That hole is the null and it has to be at just over 5 ms, half the period of the null at just under 200 Hz. It can't be anywhere else for that null.

But the 200 hz energy is spread out in time. Else there wouldn't be any around after the null passes by. But the intensity is normalize; perhaps that is misleading us.

attachment.php

Attachments

• right array spec unnormalized.jpg
    right array spec unnormalized.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 327