Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full range line array for wall or corner placement
Full range line array for wall or corner placement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2019, 07:42 PM   #371
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
Well, a couple of days without working on FIR/DSP but I did make another absorber panel and re-arrange some of my loose fiberglass batts for a small reduction in not very late reflections.

I also posted in REW forum about possible issues in REW export process.
Export, Import and Compare | AV NIRVANA

which might explain my difficulties with DRC.

But it also brings up question as to what I should correct manually. By playing with time gates in IR windows of REW, I see that my FR ripples around 200 Hz are due to reflections arriving at delays of 8-12 ms. FDW5, which I have been using for manual EQ, doesn't exclude them. Most of my effort last couple of days has been to try and eliminate them.

John showed that if exports and imports have the same cal files and IR windows, they look the same. The difficulty is in arranging that. I have been applying an FDW5 by default in all my measurements. The problem is when that is removed, a 1/48th octave smoothing remains. This is what was causing most of the difference. But also when you import a WAV exported from a measurement, you have to re-apply any CAL files that were used - which as far as I can tell means importing the cal files into the MDAT and doing trace arithmetic.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:45 PM   #372
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Not sure why you mention exporting to text? You want to export the IR as a wav file with no smoothing or any FDW applied then use Audacity or something else to do the pcm 32 bit float conversion. By exporting with REW to a wav file you should have the IR at the 1 second mark if not you may need to tell DRC where the impulse centre is. DRC uses it's own mic cal file so you don't want to have that embedded in the exported wav file.
Old 18th August 2019, 12:59 AM   #373
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

Exporting text mentioned just for completeness. Text is the one export that the calibration files don't have to follow.

I export as WAV and convert to PCM for DRC in SOX. Was re-importing to REW to verify correctness of the SOX output. It was the 1/48th octave smoothing that REW applies on removing an FDW that was making me question SOX. But it looks like SOX is fine which is nice because unlike Audacity it can be scripted.

But now I have to look for another reason why DRC doesn't seem to work for me. I'll start with new measurements that don't have an FDW by default and do my manual EQ with something like ERB smoothing that filters out those reflection induced ripples in the midrange, leaving them to DRC to deal with.
Old 18th August 2019, 06:17 AM   #374
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

You want your DRC measurement to be a clean as possible no FDW added. DRC is working on it's own FDW and if you have applied a different one in a base measurement it is unlikely to produce the expected results. Some form of pre eq is useful to allow DRC to produce the best results if the base measurement is a long way from the target response. You can do that virtually by using REW EQ and exporting the filters to an impulse and convolving it with your measurement, you can then convolve the REW EQ with the correction filter to get back to the same point.

Try using a flat target for testing as it will be easier to so where it deviates.

Full range line array for wall or corner placementHide this!Advertise here!