Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full range line array for wall or corner placement
Full range line array for wall or corner placement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2019, 09:08 PM   #201
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
Rigidity is achieved when they are glued together but I do need to beef up the end plates as they aren't thick enough to hold hurricane nuts for attachment of a baseplate.
I use insert nuts for these sort tasks much better than hurricane nuts

Like these, available from many different places

Threaded Inserts For Wood | E-Z LOK
Old 21st June 2019, 09:49 PM   #202
nc535 is online now nc535
diyAudio Member

I prefer to use hurricane nuts and then hold my breath each time I loosen the bolt.
Seriously,I've had good luck since I started gluing them in.

I do have some of those inserts tucked away somewhere. I'll dig them up and use them if it looks like they would fit.
Old 22nd June 2019, 01:48 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

went ahead with the tape method of miter joint. Thanks Mark. This looks tighter than the first one, which I did with clamps.

Full range line array for wall or corner placement-taped-glued-miter-joint-jpg

Lots else to do while I wait for the glue to set...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taped and glued miter joint.jpg (144.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:22 PM   #204
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Aah great, glad it helped. I was going crazy tying to figure out clamping sometimes, until I stumbled on the tape method (out of desperation probably )

Looking forward to hearing how full rig works out...
Old 23rd June 2019, 02:38 AM   #205
Jim Griffin is offline Jim Griffin  United States
diyAudio Member

Concerning the line array/baseplate attachment and how to best implement it:

I went though a similar process in the design and realization of my Modified CBT24 project. Kevin Kendrick went with my desire to have a removable baseplate so my arrays could be moved and easily reassembled when desired. Kevin designed a U shaped metallic plate that was inserted inside the cabinet. With threaded taps the baseplate and array tower can be separated yet a strong, rigid connection is achieved. Take a look at the photos during the tower design and construction stage in this thread:

Jim's new CBT Arrays -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Notice how the U shape metal piece enhances the strength of the base plate/tower attachment and achieves the desire to have threaded attachment for these two components. The U piece also stablizes the tower sidewalls as well. It was glued and screwed into the cabinet.

Seven internal braces helps to make the towers (realized with half inch thick MDF) stronger. The baseplate was realized with 1 inch thick MDF.

Last edited by Jim Griffin; 23rd June 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:29 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Hi Jim:
I'm well aware of your thread. Its what initially steered me towards the SB65. My previous favorite had been the Fountek FR58EX, which is also a nice driver.

My cabinet volume is considerably less than yours, I believe. Simulation predicts QTC=1 and I planned on DSP so little point in making it larger. Since its so small in cross section, the only braces called for were lengthwise and the sides brace each other. The only problem I had due to the lightness is a tendency to warp before I got the plywood sealed. Still, if I had to do it over, I would use 15mm BB instead of 12.

I went looking for angle stock for the base at HD before I say how light my proto was, but ultimately I didn't bother. Being straight, instead of leaning over backwards, takes a lot of pressure off the joint at the base.

But I'll sleep better with threaded inserts in the base instead of hurricane nuts.
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:38 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Here is a close up of the baffle with the tape clamped mitered joint and showing my recovered 1/16" pilot holes.

Full range line array for wall or corner placement-baffle-close-jpg

Next step: gluing the other side of the baffle to the back plate. I won't use many clamps here, I'm going to tack it down with brad nails and then maybe I won't feel like I have to let the glue dry overnight before moving on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffle close up.jpg (63.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 23rd June 2019, 02:50 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

Next step: glued and nailed and waiting for the endplates being prepped with hurricane nuts (my inserts were too large)

Full range line array for wall or corner placement-glued-nailed-jpg

and in case you are wondering what I'll screw up next, one of my many brads poked through to the other side. just one I call a victory!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glued and nailed.jpg (168.5 KB, 23 views)

Full range line array for wall or corner placementHide this!Advertise here!