Full range line array for wall or corner placement

I welcome suggestions for better coax's. The 18sound one does indeed seem to have a better low end but I'm not so sure about the top end. The difference I want to point out however that it, like many if not most coax's uses the woofer cone as a waveguide. The RCF uses a separate waveguide. This eliminates doppler IM from woofer cone excursion modulating sound from the compression driver but it also introduces a CTC issue at XO that leads to a 1.4" CD in the coax, potentially compromising the high end.

Choosing between these two kinds of coax drivers as well as between cardioid and non-cardioid are big decisions. Let's look at a couple of examples of the non-waveguide coax from what I believe is Kimmo's commercial website.

Taipuu Speakers DSP-aktiivikaiuttimet - Taipuu Speakers

Eliminate the separate waveguide and one eliminates the CTC issue at XO with woofer that forced me to a 12" coax instead of a 15", as used on the linked website.

Here are Kimmo's responses with 15" coax with and without 18" sub
attachment.php

I see whatever irregularities there were in the raw response have been smoothed out quite nicely. The low end directivity makes me question the need for cardioid.

Here is comparison of the 15" non-waveguide coax to the 12" waveguided coax.

attachment.php

There is a huge directivity benefit comparing RCF waveguide with and without the side woofers. The difference is much smaller comparing the 12" cardioid to the 15" non-cardioid. Note I lowered the high pass on the side woofers to 100 Hz for this comparison.

This comparison doesn't do justice to cardioid which in my case is showing >= 10 db attenuation to the rear giving substantial freedom in room placement.

I don't have an answer to the coax style question yet. I will look around once again at non-waveguided coax's for the smoothest (most equalizable looking?) top end. Very much interested in hearing people's experiences with coax.

Attachments

• Kimmos  Coaxs.png
    Kimmos Coaxs.png
    763.8 KB · Views: 521
  • Compare Kimmo to Cardio.png
    Compare Kimmo to Cardio.png
    692.7 KB · Views: 514