Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pluvia 11 large bookshelf sealed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2019, 10:08 PM   #1
BrockLanders is offline BrockLanders  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default Pluvia 11 large bookshelf sealed

Hello!

I'm starting my third diy project and I've decided to go with Pluvia 11, large bookshelf size and sealed enclosure. Closest thing to my idea I've found is on the KJF website, option 3, largest enclosure (but it's vented): https://www.kjfaudio.com/wp-content/.../11/TKOTS1.png

My first project wast this:
Cube shaped speakers

Second one was this: Cabinet front wall thickness - solid wood

I like the sound of my sealed smaller enclosure way more, sounds more tight/precise and "lively" so I've decided to try sealed enclosure this time again, only with larger driver, larger enclosure and solid oak again.

My questions are:

1. If I will build something like the version 3 on KFJ site, but sealed, can anyone predict how will it sound?
2. What level f3 I can expect?
3. Alpair 10.3 is priced similarly to Pluvia 11, would Alpair 10.3 be a better driver in the same enclosure if my main goal is to reach as low as possible in a sealed enclosure?

Thank you!
Old 14th May 2019, 02:29 AM   #2
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Large sealed for the P11 looks to be about 11-12 litres with stuffing, 5 litres for max-flat response.

Pluvia 11 large bookshelf sealed-pluvia11-sealed-gif

I think you’ll get a bit less bass extention out of the A10.3, but i do prefer its sound.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif Pluvia11-sealed.gif (26.4 KB, 563 views)
Old 14th May 2019, 03:44 AM   #3
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

if you feel like considering the A10.3 I can tell you that it produces some impressive bass in a 17litre box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spkr tests.JPG (324.0 KB, 269 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 14th May 2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 14th May 2019, 09:22 AM   #4
BrockLanders is offline BrockLanders  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Bigun - do you have drawings for this enclosure?

Dave - why only 11 litres? Sorry for the beginner question, but what are the negative side effects of going very large with sealed box?
Old 14th May 2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Pluvia 11 in 23 litres (sealed) and a voltage source amplifier will be chronically over-damped -system Q assuming 0.1ohm series R for wire, terminals &c. will be about 0.43 depending on damping. F3 will be about 110Hz, F6 roughly half that. Very little / weak LF output; you'd have to have them rammed up against a boundary wall or into corners to have much usable output < 80Hz or so.

I designed the 23 litre vented box you link to specifically for use with SET amplifiers, their transistor equivalent, or sticking the necessary series R in place. Without that it's an EBS that needs boundary support. With it, it becomes relatively usable, lightly damped & more flexible. With the same amplifiers or series R, that box sealed becomes a near-Bessel, so still well damped & without a massive amount of usable output, but not quite as anaemic, with an F3 dropping to about 72Hz & F6 c. 40Hz. so possibly usable with modest boundary loading providing you're not expecting too much. Back to the voltage source amp & 0.1ohm series R, as Dave notes, max-flat sealed (system Qtc 0.707 for lowest possible F3 without assistance from the amplifier or equivalent thereof) is 5 litres; the larger you go, the higher that F3 gets, so if you want large, you do need that external assistance from the electronics, wiring or a power-resistor.
Old 14th May 2019, 12:26 PM   #6
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Dave's graphs in #2. I apologise if you know this but if it is not clear to you:

Looking at where the lines cross the 200Hz line. The top one is the 2.3litre box, the next one down is the 5 litre, the next one the 8.5 litre and the bottom one the 13 litre.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:16 PM   #7
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
2.3litre box, 5 litre, 8.5 litre and the bottom one the 13 litre.
And then you have to factor in the apparent increas in box volume because of the damping.

dave
Old 14th May 2019, 06:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockLanders View Post
Bigun - do you have drawings for this enclosure?

Dave - why only 11 litres? Sorry for the beginner question, but what are the negative side effects of going very large with sealed box?
I realized that you were asking about sealed and my boxes are ported. I could block up the ports and see how this affects performance subjectively.

My boxes are based on Scott's design, 17 litre with 6" long 2" diameter port. I changed the dimensions because I wanted a modern slim style to the cabinet and I wanted to get the best use out of a 4' x 8' panel size of birch plywood that my local DIY store stocks. I also wanted all the edges to be mitred to hide the end grain, except for the chamfered front baffle where it is used to effect. I'm quite pleased with myself about the result.

PM me to confirm you want drawings - for sealed the boxes may be on the large size and should be shrunk a bit. I have to admit, I'm not a big 'port' guy, this is my first traditional bass reflex project (having done Onken, Open Baffle, MLTL and Boffle before). I was pleasantly surprised how good the plain ole Bass Reflex performs and this taught me not to form -ve opinions based on the internet before trying it myself !

The Alpair 10.3 is a good driver.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 14th May 2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 14th May 2019, 07:30 PM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Gareth,

Those speakers turned out pretty nice.
Old 14th May 2019, 08:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thx!

Pluvia 11 large bookshelf sealedHide this!Advertise here!