Pluvia 11 large bookshelf sealed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I'm starting my third diy project and I've decided to go with Pluvia 11, large bookshelf size and sealed enclosure. Closest thing to my idea I've found is on the KJF website, option 3, largest enclosure (but it's vented): https://www.kjfaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/TKOTS1.png

My first project wast this:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/327265-cube-shaped-speakers.html

Second one was this: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/con...-cabinet-front-wall-thickness-solid-wood.html

I like the sound of my sealed smaller enclosure way more, sounds more tight/precise and "lively" so I've decided to try sealed enclosure this time again, only with larger driver, larger enclosure and solid oak again.

My questions are:

1. If I will build something like the version 3 on KFJ site, but sealed, can anyone predict how will it sound?
2. What level f3 I can expect?
3. Alpair 10.3 is priced similarly to Pluvia 11, would Alpair 10.3 be a better driver in the same enclosure if my main goal is to reach as low as possible in a sealed enclosure?

Thank you!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Large sealed for the P11 looks to be about 11-12 litres with stuffing, 5 litres for max-flat response.

attachment.php

I think you’ll get a bit less bass extention out of the A10.3, but i do prefer its sound.

dave

Attachments

• Pluvia11-sealed.gif
    Pluvia11-sealed.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 807
The Pluvia 11 in 23 litres (sealed) and a voltage source amplifier will be chronically over-damped -system Q assuming 0.1ohm series R for wire, terminals &c. will be about 0.43 depending on damping. F3 will be about 110Hz, F6 roughly half that. Very little / weak LF output; you'd have to have them rammed up against a boundary wall or into corners to have much usable output < 80Hz or so.

I designed the 23 litre vented box you link to specifically for use with SET amplifiers, their transistor equivalent, or sticking the necessary series R in place. Without that it's an EBS that needs boundary support. With it, it becomes relatively usable, lightly damped & more flexible. With the same amplifiers or series R, that box sealed becomes a near-Bessel, so still well damped & without a massive amount of usable output, but not quite as anaemic, with an F3 dropping to about 72Hz & F6 c. 40Hz. so possibly usable with modest boundary loading providing you're not expecting too much. Back to the voltage source amp & 0.1ohm series R, as Dave notes, max-flat sealed (system Qtc 0.707 for lowest possible F3 without assistance from the amplifier or equivalent thereof) is 5 litres; the larger you go, the higher that F3 gets, so if you want large, you do need that external assistance from the electronics, wiring or a power-resistor.

Bigun - do you have drawings for this enclosure?

Dave - why only 11 litres? Sorry for the beginner question, but what are the negative side effects of going very large with sealed box?

I realized that you were asking about sealed and my boxes are ported. I could block up the ports and see how this affects performance subjectively.

My boxes are based on Scott's design, 17 litre with 6" long 2" diameter port. I changed the dimensions because I wanted a modern slim style to the cabinet and I wanted to get the best use out of a 4' x 8' panel size of birch plywood that my local DIY store stocks. I also wanted all the edges to be mitred to hide the end grain, except for the chamfered front baffle where it is used to effect. I'm quite pleased with myself about the result.

PM me to confirm you want drawings - for sealed the boxes may be on the large size and should be shrunk a bit. I have to admit, I'm not a big 'port' guy, this is my first traditional bass reflex project (having done Onken, Open Baffle, MLTL and Boffle before). I was pleasantly surprised how good the plain ole Bass Reflex performs and this taught me not to form -ve opinions based on the internet before trying it myself !

The Alpair 10.3 is a good driver.

Last edited:
Dave, I'm going to take your advice.

I will build a sealed cabinet for Pluvia 11.

Height 34 cm
Width 22 cm
Depth 27 cm
Wall thickness 2.1 cm
Volume 12.1 litres, but element itself will reduce the volume a bit.

What is the best stuffing material for sealed speaker of this size? For my first two projects I have used Sonofil.

What kind of F3 I could expect with this cabinet?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That should be fine. I’d go 9 litres but that is because i already have nice 9 litre designed… a vented miniOnen thou. I usually target Q - 0.58 and then push it toeawrds 0.5 Q with the stuffing (we would line with 12mm cotton felt and then if sealed fill the entire volume with well-teased acoustaStuff.

Generally having non-parallel walls helps.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.