Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Woofer choice for full range-woofer combo
Woofer choice for full range-woofer combo
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Wirezz is offline Wirezz  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Woofer choice for full range-woofer combo

I have a set of custom built speakers that have 2x tang band W8-1772 8"drivers on each side. I run it with a 300b but I need more bass, trebel is fine.

I plan to switch out one set of the full range drivers for 8" woofers that I will cross at about 300Hz with minidsp and biamp with a 300b/solid state combo.

Based on the routing for the current drivers, 2 woofers will fit, they are the W8-1722 and the W8-750c from tang band. Which would be best for my needs?

The internal volume of the cabinet is 100L (bass reflex), well braced nd damped. Front port is 11cm wide and 6cm deep.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Wirezz; 25th April 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:10 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Probably either would work adequately, the big issue will be settling on therequired power. With close to 10dB difference in sensitivity between with and a single 1772, I think you’d want to start experimenting with at least 100w per side. Fortunately, it’s never been more affordable to buy that amount of power.
Old 27th April 2019, 01:10 AM   #3
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

The 1722 is a fantastic driver, but I am not near my computer to see how it would fit in your existing enclosure dimensions.

I did make a sim for it a while back, and it gave very nice behaved low reached bass.
Old 27th April 2019, 01:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Probably either would work adequately, the big issue will be settling on therequired power. With close to 10dB difference in sensitivity between with and a single 1772, I think you’d want to start experimenting with at least 100w per side. Fortunately, it’s never been more affordable to buy that amount of power.
Thanks for your reply. I have a 150w class a/b amp set aside for this role.
The main difference I see between the 2 is the xmax and of course magnet size and design.
Would the increased xmax add significantly to better bass and would the larger magnet lead to poorer control and definition at the higher frequencies?
Old 28th April 2019, 12:30 AM   #5
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

You won't be using this at higher frequencies, and the generous xmax is what makes bass. An interesting driver to be sure. It certainly looks like something that could work in a standard 2-way as well as your FAST/WAW/??? configuration.

Last edited by phivates; 28th April 2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 28th April 2019, 12:42 AM   #6
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirezz View Post
......would the larger magnet lead to poorer control and definition at the higher frequencies?
eh, what?
Old 28th April 2019, 09:44 AM   #7
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

An alternative would be to leave the existing cabinets as they are and - if you have room - experiment with a separate bass/subwoofer. As you have the MiniDSP and solid state power to experiment, it opens up your choice of woofers considerably. Depending on crossover frequency, you could get away with a single sub with the flexibility to add more later.
Old 28th April 2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Mattes is offline Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Wirezz,

is there any filter in your box? If not, it will easily explain "I need more bass". Before buying, you may consider correcting the response of the two fullrange drivers, as there´s enough SD and Xmax in your system to produce at least decent bass - of course, always depending on room size and SPL requirements.

All the best

Mattes
Old 28th April 2019, 10:14 AM   #9
DanHat is offline DanHat  United States
diyAudio Member

I use the tb w8-1808 and I like them very much. The 1772 is also a very good driver but does not seem to be at it's best in a ported enclosure. I ran a design in winisd and it suggested a 50 liter box with a 10cm by 4.6cm port tube. That looks close to what you built. The good news is the efficiency of the two drivers is 98 db 1 watt/1 meter. The bad news is the F3 is about 70 hz.

Have you done any filtering to tame the rising high end of the drivers? I use a .5 mh coil and the 16 ohm side of a 16 ohm lpad paralleled on mine as a variable adjustment and it works very well.

I like the suggestion of building or buying a subwoofer or two.
Old 28th April 2019, 02:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattes View Post
Hi Wirezz,

is there any filter in your box? If not, it will easily explain "I need more bass". Before buying, you may consider correcting the response of the two fullrange drivers, as there´s enough SD and Xmax in your system to produce at least decent bass - of course, always depending on room size and SPL requirements.

All the best

Mattes

Wow, thanks for your reply. I do not have any filtering in place.

This is my fist time using DIY full range drivers. My previous full range speakers were store bought from Omega.

I guess it's time to read up on filtering...
I assume LSPcad will allow me to model the filter I need?

Woofer choice for full range-woofer comboHide this!Advertise here!