Polymate3D FD61 - 3D Printed Full Range Speaker Driver- In development

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It should be kept in mind that the weaker grades of NdFeB tend to have less BH loss with rising temperature than the stronger grades.

The following link doesn't graph such temperature dependencies of different NdFeB grades, but somewhere there should be a page that does so.

Temperature and Neodymium Magnets

Interesting page jcarr. Thanks very much.

For FD61 in early prototypes, heat was a massive issue and was a cause for concern. Especially with the lower melting point plastics (60c). However the latest models are running on 10<15W with no damage and in most cabinet sizes they will rarely exceed 5W so for this design so far it is very little trouble.

In the super small amount of time I get in the week after work I have made up another drivetrain and took a picture of some of them together:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is where FD61 is differentiating itself from the competition. I can happily swap these out in about 5<10 minutes and compare them and select the result I like the most. The driver choice is not setting these areas down for my entire project, as they can be altered later on.

Any other questions or info please let me know :)

Paul

Been a while but another update. Launch day is coming alarming quickly, but so is the pace of what needs to be done!

Firstly, the first drive train has been chosen, with another being lined up for launch. This is FD61-4PW.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FD61-4PW uses a wood mimicking foaming material which has a more laid back sound due to it's roll off in the upper frequencies. Think of something like an Alpair 7P and your on the right track. This will be the higher sensitivity model, due to it's lighter weight. It also has a traditional cone design in fitting to a more vintage sound with rolled off highs.

Next is more results from FD61, P30. This time we delve more into how it performs than just frequency, T&S parameters, and phase response. We can now add Distortion and waterfall graphs as well. Like recently, directly comparing against the PS95 from Dayton as a benchmark.

FD61 P30 Distortion:

PS95 Distortion:

FD61 Waterfall:

PS95 Waterfall:

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) comes out with FD61 being slightly better at 2.51% vs 2.77% for the PS95

Below you will see a more detailed breakdown:

2nd Harmonic[/B/

PS95 is better with 1.77% vs 1.84%

3rd Harmonic

FD61 is better with 1.15% vs 1.51%

4th Harmonic

PS95 is better with 0.753% vs 0.763%

5th Harmonic

FD61 is better with 0.393% vs 0.572%

6th Harmonic

FD61 is better with 0.422% vs 0.443%

7th Harmonic

FD61 is better with 0.340% vs 0.783%

8th Harmonic

FD61 is better with 0.452% vs 0.526%

9th Harmonic

PS95 is better with 0.540% vs 0.625%

What I am taking from this is that FD61 is again on par with industry based drivers and another verification that a 3D printed based driver is a viable option, and that I will be able to make a kit driver which can compete as well which was the initial goal a long long time ago.

Keep your eyes out for the next update. With a bit of luck it will be the second drive train that will launch as a choice to get in kit form. As always, any questions, queries or concerns feel free to message.

Paul

Second drivetrain decided!

Hello everyone

The second drivetrain design has been chosen. This is FD61-4CF

FD61-4CF uses a carbon fiber composite to make the cone & former. The cone profile has shallow ridges to help smooth up any resonance spikes from a stiffer material. The result is a driver that has a clean and neutral sound output.

Unlike FD61-4PW which is designed to go more towards a vintage/paper based speaker, FD61-4CF is made to sound much more like current day drivers using different materials. I had a couple of other materials which where brighter in the high end frequencies, but my ear leads me back to this for use over a wide range of music and use cases.

This is also the drivetrain going to the Advanced Engineering Show and will be on booth i84 (3DFilaprint) running on both days.

I will update this thread once I have done more tests on this drive train and the other, but the actual development road to launch is basically at the end now. Being a modular driver, it's less the end though, and hopefully the beginning of an entirely different approach to driver design.

FD61's development has comprised of over 2.5 years or development, and 32 Prototypes. Over 50 different cones have been made, and 10+ different materials. The motor has gone through 4 different sets of magnets, and breaking the boundaries allowing me to create the key components on a 3D printer have been broken.

During development it has also been able to achieve my goals whilst maintaining my hope of being able to be assembled at home with no special tools. This is thanks to the ability to keep a high enough flux with a 3mm gap. much larger than anyone else, but enables that end user control.

It's got multiple 3D Printed Components

It's a Modular design, allowing the drivetrain, motor, and phase plug to be changed out

It's an upgradable thanks to the modular design, allowing your build to change over time without starting from scratch each time.

And it's coming soon! I will be launching a kickstarter campaign to gauge interest in the kits. Single drivers will be approximately £40 mark, but there will also be some cheaper than this for people quick enough. Each kit will have the drive train of your choice and 3 Phase plugs. A fan edition pair kit will contain both drive trains so you can swap out straight away.

STL files for the cabinets will be released at the end of the campaign, allowing people with 3D printers to print there own cabinet and have just the driver kit cost.

As always any questions and queries are more than welcome. Ghemml if you read this, the phase plug uses a M5 thread so you could do your own design phase plug easily.

Paul

Hello! I'm Vietnamese and I'm not good at English, I use google translate ... hi hi! Sorry for this! I also enjoyed the 3D speaker driver project and I made it. These are initial test results. I will continue to modify it to achieve better results. I only use the phone to record videos because it is convenient. Therefore, the sound quality recorded is not good and honest. I look forward to your comments and support. Thanks!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/51NsDf2HfdI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/noqY5MrLJr8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.