Tune Box: Which is it? Port length or port vol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question: Which is it, port length or port volume (air mass) that tunes a box?

I'm interested in making an insertable disk circular port (not a tube) that sides into a non tall cylinder to get a longer length port where a tube would not fit. See figures 1 to 3. I can also slide in various "Discs" with different volumes easily.

I can vary the air mass by changing the center circle dia and/or the depth of the disc (sandwich plates seal the channel.)

I can vary the port length by changing the entrance and the exit locations.
Couple of questions:

1. In a bass reflex (not a T-line), if you have two ports with the same volume, but one is longer than the other (thereby smaller cross sectional area) , would the performance be the same assuming there is no chuffing in either?
2. In other words: is the weight of the air mass inside the port that determines the box tuning or the length of the port? ie, 2" dia times 6" long port has the same vol as a 3" x 2.67" long port about 18.85 cu in.

Would both ports perform the same?

Separate note: see Fig 4. From what I read, two different length ports do not work but then there is the neat cornu spiral horn that seems to work well. So do two different length ports work or not?

Thanks

Attachments

• Circular non tube port.jpg
    Circular non tube port.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 153
More or less a ratio of length to diameter. Doesn't follow mass, in that a larger diameter port needs to be longer, not shorter to keep the same tuning.

Or stated a different way, as you add air column mass by increasing port length for a fixed diameter, tuning frequency drops. AND, as you decrease air column mass by decreasing port diameter for a fixed length, tuning frequency ALSO drops.

Good, what I have been reading about calculating the air mass inside the port and then using that as the weight to add to a passive radiator is wrong. That is what brought on the question. Anyway, the 2nd part of the post based on fig 4 in the picture: Is it also wrong that you shouldn't have two different length ports? And yet, the popular Cornu has them???
Thanks

The original question should be: do I tune the box or the speaker ?
The original answer is: you do both; someone would say " It depends", as it usually happens in speakers...
In deep but also simply you would use what the best is available for making that speaker "sing".
Generally, the maker of the speaker knows how it behaves in closed boxes, Helmoltz boxes, infinite baffle with more volume that Vas, horn expansions in front.
The cornu is a backloaded horn, isn't it ? so it has a compression chamber and two/three/four lines, the expansion ratio, the length etc. it may resemble a BVR ( big vent reflex, with the exponential expanding duct ) but it is not.
Btw there are already big problems in defining aerodynamics & other phisics associated to the presence of ONE duct in a chamber, the chamber itself offers soooo many opportunities to all the particular problems to arise, and they do :eek:
Like viscosity, turbulence, and all the likes. Have you ever heard of a speaker filled with a gas other than air ?

Well, if memory serves me correctly, the Dayton Wright XG8 were a sealed ELS filled with an inert gas that enabled them to operate at higher bias voltages and achieve over 20dB theoretical gain in max SPL over standard “air loaded” designs.
Of course that bears no relevance to the case at hand, but does answer the specific question

Question: Which is it, port length or port volume (air mass) that tunes a box?

1. In a bass reflex (not a T-line), if you have two ports with the same volume, but one is longer than the other (thereby smaller cross sectional area) , would the performance be the same assuming there is no chuffing in either?
2. In other words: is the weight of the air mass inside the port that determines the box tuning or the length of the port? ie, 2" dia times 6" long port has the same vol as a 3" x 2.67" long port about 18.85 cu in.

Would both ports perform the same?

Attached is a formula for determining the length of a (round) vent for a "normal" vented box. It involves:

c = speed of sound in air
R = radius of vent
Vb = box volume
fb = tuning frequency.

Without going into too much detail . . .
The modeling behind this starts with a vent containing a mass of air that vibrates back and forth, and the volume of air behind it acts as a spring. The "1.463R" term is an end correction factor (determined from empirical data), assuming one end free and one end flush mounted.

The tuning frequency is found from a ratio of the spring "constant" of the air in the box, to the mass of air in the port. The mass density term cancels out, and does not appear in the final result.

Think of the air in the box as a compression chamber, with the mass of air in the vent being a piston moving against it. The cross section area of the vent determines the "stiffness" of the air in the box. A larger diameter vent sees a larger force from the air being compressed than a smaller diameter vent would see.

The formula shows you that a larger radius vent requires more length to achieve the same tuning frequency as a smaller radius vent, given the same box volume.

Attachments

• ventL.png
    ventL.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 83
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.