Obtaining my White Whale (25 Driver IDS-25 Line Array Build)

Ok, I've gotten to try some things.

1. As a temporary test to troubleshoot the polyswitch resistors, I wrapped some wire around their connections to essentially short them out. That way, if they are problematic, I can see what it sounds like "without" them.

...Conclusion, the speakers sound like normal now.

From what I read, it could take between 1 day to 1 month for the polyswitch resistors to return to their original crystalline structure. For me it may be worth waiting a month.

I will say that the speakers may be a little more dynamic bypassing the polyswitch resistors.

2. I tried a power conditioner with the new pair of Sonics 800X (Bryston 7b) power amplifiers. There is no pop on startup. There is still a crackle and pop on shutdown.

As I'm still in the test phase, I added a Adcom speaker selector switch so I could disconnect the speakers from the amplifiers during startup and shutdown.

Right now I am just using single TC9 drivers open air on light stands for these tests. That way if something bad happens, it's not to the line arrays.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember I had to add a soft-start to my amplifier, not specifically for pop noises but starting it up triggered my breaker switches :D.
I got it off of ebay, you can see it in this picture on the right:

Vandermill-internals.jpg

Finally making progress on the bass towers. Got the first up this weekend. It's 278 lbs.

I had to dismantle my entire system to get it into the room so it'll be a while before it is all up and running, so I haven't heard it yet.

Attachments

• 20240407_140546.jpg
    20240407_140546.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: 1 users
The cabinets were done on a CNC machine. He has done very fine work for a long time and said that this was the most precision demanding work he has done. I don't think he could have flush mount the drivers without the CNC machine.

The TC9's were a little under $8 with bulk pricing of over 50 drivers. The Aurasound drivers were bought several years ago to build a prototype and I still haven't used them.

This photo shows both drivers side by side.

is "nv" for Nevada?

And if so, could you point me in the direction of your CNC guy? (I live in Nevada)

... in many ways the Aurasound and TC9 are very similar but playing side by side I found the TC9 to be much smoother feeling. The $1 Aurasound also distorted long before the TC9.

I am still a novice so take this all with a grain of salt.

I had the same experience with the cheap aurasound drivers. The company is well known for their mid-priced stuff, and a couple of monster 18" subs, but their cheap drivers were all kinda "meh."

Basically, the Tymphany TC9 and TG9 are about as good as it gets at their price point, and to do better you'd probably have to spend 400% more. Scanspeak 10F is the obvious candidate, but 50 of them cost $6000 :O