TABAQ with FaitalPro 3FE22

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few photos of this build, since I finally finished them off. Up till now they were sitting in my living room with no paint, and with one side just wedged on, not glued.

Attachments

• IMG_4396.jpg
    IMG_4396.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_4397.jpg
    IMG_4397.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4398.jpg
    IMG_4398.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_4399.jpg
    IMG_4399.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_4401.jpg
    IMG_4401.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_4402.jpg
    IMG_4402.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 350
Hmm...

Magnet diameter on the drawing is 72mm, my baffle cut out is 73.6mm, so it should just slip through.

The GRS driver is surprisingly good, but much bigger, not sure it's a drop in replacement for this enclosure, but might be OK in the original TABAQ enclosure?

Earlier, Xrk recommended the P830986, I haven't heard that one but I have the similar P830987 in some baby labs, which I do like. They have a detailed presentation and 2mm xmax. The Bjorn meister has also recommended the P830987 in Tabaq. At parts express the P830986 and the 87 are about the same price as the 3fe25.

Last edited:
TABAQ

Luigiman:

Nice job on the speakers!

Could you comment on your experiences working with the particle board? Your cuts certainly look clean. How about gluing them? Any chip outs, or crumbling? Is this your final material to build speakers for your friends?

Right now my local Habitat for Humanity has a 3' tall stack of 4' x 8' sheets of fairly fine particle board for $10 per sheet. No damage. I thought about buying 10-20 sheets for use for shelving, but had not thought about speakers.

Homebuilder:

I think the particle board is the best! But I'm a little biased, since I get it for free as cover sheets on pallets of wood at work. I also have access to Solidworks, and a CNC, so what I do is cut slots in the right and left sides with the CNC, and then rip all the baffles, front, back , top, bottom to width on a table saw. See the attached pics from Solidworks to hopefully get an idea of how I do it.

I definitely use glue for assembly, what works well with my method is to glue all baffles to one side, then the other side just press fits on but can be removed. Like this I can test and adjust stuffing, etc., then when I am happy I just glue the other side on. I put a low cost plastic terminal pair on the back and connect up with crimp spade terminals. Then when the whole box is glued, I belt sand the top and front to level up the joints, and chamfer all edges. Then I fill the edges of the particle board with putty, which makes a nice smooth finish all over the box, and when I paint you don't see the edges/joints. I prefer matt black acrylic paint.

For the pair I just made I had some Sony front grills, but I plan to make a front grille with thin ply/particle board covered with cloth that covers the whole front of the box.

I definitely plan to use this method/material for the speakers I make for my friends.

Attachments

• assembly screenshot.jpg
    assembly screenshot.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 418
  • assembly screenshot2.jpg
    assembly screenshot2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 437
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.