Sonido SFR200A Open Baffle (with bass box)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I found the Sonido SFR200A speakers in stock at a local dealer. Since I have heard them some weeks ago at an audio show, I bought a pair. They are about the same price as a Fostex 206E but with a cast basket, wooden phase plug and AlNiCo magnet.

Before they get some proper boxes, I bought two 45 x 35 x 2 cm bamboo cutting boards. There is a 5 cm fold, so acoustically they are more like 45 * 40 cm. I routed the hole for the speaker and cut, glued and screwed on a piece of pine plank as the stand.

They are now running biamped with a Peavey FH-1 bass horn copy below ca 250 - 300 Hz. I can only compare them to my good old Beta12CX + Selenium D210Ti MLTL. I would say that the sensitivity is slightly lower on the Sonidos, but the sound is definitely better, it seems that it has even more treble extension. I need to confirm that by measurement, it may be also more like "presence" and not real HF extension. Also, the current test position is far from ideal, I need to test them further from the back wall with a matching bass cabinet below. Drums sound really amazing, the sound is very detailed, sharp and "fast".

I plan to build the Schalmei double horn with them as I do not want to stress the FR speaker below 100 Hz and have a proper low extension with a separate cabinet (most probably a small TH or Alphorn).

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 520
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 513
  • Both.jpg
    Both.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 518
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I need to move them further from the back wall. I got meanwhile a pair of Hedlund horns with Lowther DX2 and in my other room, they sound like a totally different class. I need to compare them side by side one day in the same room with the same amp. The new Denon I got as a present is totally awesome, I would not have thought an amplifier could make such a difference.

I am not saying they are bad, but the Lowthers with the Denon amp are just by far the best I have ever heard so far.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am not at my measurement computer, but I can say that the treble roll off is not due to the speaker, it is due to the room and placement (too much stuff around). In nearfield, the speaker measures really nicely. And I can place the small open baffles on stands further into the room to get a more balanced sound. However, that is not an acceptable permanent solution, so these will definitely get a box one day (BLH or some QW type).

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I actually like the Lowthers in that particular horn and room better. In another room, I have the smaller 6" Sonidos in backloaded horns and they perform really well. I have such a feeling that for full enjoyment, I would need to add a supertweeter to the 8" version, maybe upfiring or back firing, to add the bit of "air" I am missing with these. I actually heard the same drivers with a small planar tweeter (crossed high, 5 k or maybe 8k, I do not remember) and that was exactly doing what I missed. They are still mounted on the boards waiting in a long line to get a proper box one day. I plan a big listening / measuring shootout for next spring / summer when all my running projects are finished, I have various pieces I will be able to combine together.

Reactions: 1 user