Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recomendation 8" full range that is also a good woofer for vented box
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2019, 10:34 AM   #1
Johnsykes is offline Johnsykes  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Question Recomendation 8" full range that is also a good woofer for vented box

Hi , i need recomendation 8" full range that is also a good woofer and at least a decent tweeter for vented box , thanks .
Old 7th March 2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Although a number of 8in wideband drivers can produce reasonable LF extension in a vented or other enclosures (Seas FA22, TB W8-1772, Dayton PS-220, Fostex FF225wk etc.) none are particularly good woofers for the excellent reason that the requirements are somewhat contradictory. Wideband drive units require low mass coils, cone, suspension to maximise their resonant performance, and practical power-handling & (usually) excursion are limited as a result.

Tweeters couldn't care tuppence if the enclosure is vented, so your choice as far as that goes since it's entirely dependent upon main drive unit, application (overall sensitivity, baffle dimensions, crossover frequency, slope, impedance compensation & a host of other factors).
Old 7th March 2019, 11:50 AM   #3
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Johnsykes ,

As a wide-band option you can look up the Alpair 12PW - a few user reviews on diyAudio indicate that the LF performance is decent:

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.

Alpair 7.3eN/12pw WAW build

But please note that you will need to use a tweeter/mid-tweeter with this driver.

Last edited by zman01; 7th March 2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 7th March 2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's one of the better hybrid units as far as being a widebander that straddles the boundary of (lightish load) woofer / midbass. I didn't mention it purely because it's a 6 1/2in driver in terms of radiating surface, albeit in an 8in frame.
Old 8th March 2019, 06:06 AM   #5
SONDEKNZ is offline SONDEKNZ  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Wink VISATON B 200 might fit the bill?

The German-made VISATON B 200 might work for you.

I've heard it run full-range in an AUDIO NOTE AN/E copy cabinet (Filter-Vented) and it sounded superb! Pretty efficient too, but unusually it is a nominal 6-Ohm load. (That 6-ohms will either work for you or against you, determined by your amp of choice...)

As with many widebanders, it misses just that very top "air" or "sparkle" but that could be easily solved with the addition of a tweeter and a simple high pass filter, Perhaps just a single quality capacitor with the right tweeter, would suffice? Visaton themselves can probably advise you there. EXPECT VERY GOOD SERVICE!

The B 200 sounds so good on its own, some wouldn't be bothered with a tweeter, so it's all a question of sonic taste.

Not sure what your other spec requirements are, so here's a link to the data...
B 200 - 6 Ohm | Visaton

Check them out!
Attached Images
File Type: png VISATON B 200.PNG (191.6 KB, 323 views)
Old 8th March 2019, 11:21 AM   #6
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Well, an alternative is to look at woofers who can also work as a widebander.. Look at the Sbacoutics line. Unusually high frequency response. Some are essentially full range.

8" SB20PFC30-8 :: SB Acoustics

8" SB23NACS45-8 :: SB Acoustics

Oon
Old 8th March 2019, 01:31 PM   #7
tborzic is offline tborzic  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONDEKNZ View Post
The German-made VISATON B 200 might work for you.

I've heard it run full-range in an AUDIO NOTE AN/E copy cabinet (Filter-Vented) and it sounded superb!
Do you, by any chance, have some more details about this setup? Photos, drawings, etc..

Thanks,
T.
Old 8th March 2019, 01:59 PM   #8
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you looked into this one?

Seas Prestige FA22RCZ (H1597-08) 8" Fullrange

Mike
Old 8th March 2019, 05:50 PM   #9
Johnsykes is offline Johnsykes  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys , as usual you gave me great advice and help but im going to go with a 2 way speaker , i think i will get better results for the same amount.
Old 9th March 2019, 04:07 AM   #10
SONDEKNZ is offline SONDEKNZ  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default VISATON B 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tborzic View Post
Do you, by any chance, have some more details about this setup? Photos, drawings, etc..

Thanks,
T.

TBORZIC

I don't have any photos plans or drawings. I simply was invited around for a listen a year or two ago. I was impressed. I can say that the AN/E Cabinet copy was not heavily damped and that did not seem to matter. Perhaps it helped?

Your best bet is to follow the link yourself and explore VISATON. They provide loads of data, cabinet plan options and truly excellent service.

Here's the link again: -
B 200 - 6 Ohm | Visaton

Enjoy!

Recomendation 8" full range that is also a good woofer for vented boxHide this!Advertise here!