Recomendation 8" full range that is also a good woofer for vented box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although a number of 8in wideband drivers can produce reasonable LF extension in a vented or other enclosures (Seas FA22, TB W8-1772, Dayton PS-220, Fostex FF225wk etc.) none are particularly good woofers for the excellent reason that the requirements are somewhat contradictory. Wideband drive units require low mass coils, cone, suspension to maximise their resonant performance, and practical power-handling & (usually) excursion are limited as a result.

Tweeters couldn't care tuppence if the enclosure is vented, so your choice as far as that goes since it's entirely dependent upon main drive unit, application (overall sensitivity, baffle dimensions, crossover frequency, slope, impedance compensation & a host of other factors).

Last edited:
VISATON B 200 might fit the bill?

The German-made VISATON B 200 might work for you.

I've heard it run full-range in an AUDIO NOTE AN/E copy cabinet (Filter-Vented) and it sounded superb! Pretty efficient too, but unusually it is a nominal 6-Ohm load. (That 6-ohms will either work for you or against you, determined by your amp of choice...)

As with many widebanders, it misses just that very top "air" or "sparkle" but that could be easily solved with the addition of a tweeter and a simple high pass filter, Perhaps just a single quality capacitor with the right tweeter, would suffice? Visaton themselves can probably advise you there. EXPECT VERY GOOD SERVICE!

The B 200 sounds so good on its own, some wouldn't be bothered with a tweeter, so it's all a question of sonic taste.

Not sure what your other spec requirements are, so here's a link to the data...
B 200 - 6 Ohm | Visaton

Check them out!
;););)

Attachments

• VISATON B 200.PNG
    VISATON B 200.PNG
    191.6 KB · Views: 600
VISATON B 200...

Do you, by any chance, have some more details about this setup? Photos, drawings, etc..

Thanks,
T.

TBORZIC

I don't have any photos plans or drawings. I simply was invited around for a listen a year or two ago. I was impressed. I can say that the AN/E Cabinet copy was not heavily damped and that did not seem to matter. Perhaps it helped?

Your best bet is to follow the link yourself and explore VISATON. They provide loads of data, cabinet plan options and truly excellent service.

Here's the link again: -
B 200 - 6 Ohm | Visaton

:D
Enjoy!

TBORZIC

I don't have any photos plans or drawings. I simply was invited around for a listen a year or two ago. I was impressed. I can say that the AN/E Cabinet copy was not heavily damped and that did not seem to matter. Perhaps it helped?

Your best bet is to follow the link yourself and explore VISATON. They provide loads of data, cabinet plan options and truly excellent service.

Here's the link again: -
B 200 - 6 Ohm | Visaton

:D
Enjoy!

Not a whole lot of love for the B200 on this forum. Too bad as it is one of the better and more versatile 8" widebanders out there. I had mine in large BiBs and then in smaller sealed boxes and they sounded pretty good solo. Lots of plans at the website link above. Of particular relevance to the OP, there is a plan where they used the the B200 as a midrange(!). One could start with the existing crossover and with some tweaking eliminate the woofers (drop the highpass components) and run the B200 with the waveguided tweeter and it would make for wider/controlled dispersion 2-way.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The German-made VISATON B 200 might work for you.

The B200 has been used as a bas sdriver by Bert Dopenberg (2 in an OB WAW).

...it misses just that very top "air" or "sparkle"

I thot much the same thing when i 1st heard them, but added phase plugs seem to go a long ways to fixing that.

The B200 specified sensitivity is optimistic. They measure about 90 dB.

It also has a Q that usually means an OB, or a very large box (or a leaky one (ie aperiodic). I have 2 pair, already put them in an OB, so a big aperiodic box is my current plan. A box as small as the AudioNote probably has a substantial bump up at the bottom.

dave

Hi there!
Don't want to rain on the parade, but if vented box is the goal, I wouldn't recommend Visaton B200.
I am using it on the Open Baffle. Previously I have tried using in on various boxes, just for the sake of it, and the result wasn't pretty. Vented, its boomy. Sealed, it is much better but requires a huge box. Otherwise, tends to sound thin, so you may end up with a lot of BSC, which kills efficiency. Its top end is acceptable when phase-plugged, otherwise it beams. I heard that some local diyer was neither satisfied with the bass, nor top, and ended making it a two-way, which then defeats its purpose. Also, it is quite sensitive to amplifier output impedance, it likes it high :) So I am using it with Pass F2 amp.
P.s. I have also heard BG20. Cheap it is, it's worth the money, but not something you'd like in the long run...

Attachments

• IMAG4904-768x1365.jpg
    IMAG4904-768x1365.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG4906-1024x576.jpg
    IMAG4906-1024x576.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMAG2872-1024x1820.jpg
    IMAG2872-1024x1820.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 251
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
if vented box is the goal, I wouldn't recommend Visaton B200

Worth repeating. With its highish Q any box you put it into needs to minimize or reduce the bas shump caused by the box. Hence its use in OBs where the dipole bass roll-off can be used to deal with the bass, or a REALLY big box (ie IB, use the next room as the box) to getthe box Q down to the unboxed Q (which is really near max-flat), but the most practical box would be aperiodic. Joe Rasmussen has done an aperiodic TL for it, as i have for a centre channel with B200 OBs as mains, or a simplier “holey” box as 1st proposed by Jordan and taken to higher sophistication by Perkins (PEARL). The last is th eapproach i am going to take — very similar to what i suggested and what Bigun did for his AN15.

The B200 can be made into a really decent driver, but the FA22 is in the same league and a lot easier to put into a box. Like almost all whizzer cone drivers it benefits from phase plugs. The PS220 is the other 8 i have heard that has potential (i only got a short listen, unlike the AN10 Classic that i listened to the previous week it did not have any objectionable issues). Tom in Florida really liked his in Sachicko (but his Sachicko have a parade of drivers going thru them), Decware did some smarmy mods to it and promoted it for awhile. Also given the way the PS220 gets made i worry about batch-to-batch differences.

I am a frugal-phile(tm) and have not had the opportunity to hear expensive drivers. The one ($6k) driver i heard was not very good. Lowther, Cube, Sonindo, AER, Voxativ — all close to hand-made big buck drivers that may or may not give a significant advantage to the best of the drivers in the “normal” price range. I believe they certainly get into the small improvements, exponential price class. At this poin ti am spending my money on mproving what feeds my speakers (currently bigish WAW).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.