W6-2144 - Design time!!

Ok, I'll move the fat brace down to 78cm to hold the 30% zone up, and put a narrow brace behind driver to hold the 100% stuffing above that.

Any issues with the size of that fat brace? I drilled lots of holes, so it shouldn't affect the performance much, right?

Hmm, missed this post........technically, the holey brace should be vertical in high aspect ratio cabs since the major stress is along the longest axis and to maximize airflow, so can be a solid piece, but if the deep bass response is solid, then can't be restricting enough to matter.

Re stuffing; no experience w/polyfil, I mainly used loose and/or duct board fiberglass [AKA OC703 nowadays] insulation and later, Miraflex, an itch-less roll version.

Normally I loosely covered any drivers, XO with cheesecloth for the loose stuff and for just a portion of the cab, packed it in a cheesecloth 'bag' and suspended it from the top to hang down where I wanted it.

With really big cabs I sometimes 'took a page' from Bozak, using a hanging blanket of insulation, though of course it can be done in smaller tall cabs too and recommended it a few times to apparently 'deaf ears', so quit [pg. 48]: How To Build Speaker Enclosures By Alexix Badmaieff & Don Davis : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

GM

Wow.

It's been awhile, but I owe you all a follow up post... Especially GM!

I sacrificed volume and WAF with these... But I feel like I gained a world of sound. And I'm used to various studio monitors (including PMC transmission lines)!

I'm not much of a reviewer - due to time allowance I suppose - but I'll try and describe what I hear in another post soon. 20210522_204729_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Hey GM, I started a new design thread, for the B3N. Also, now a friend of mine is looking to build some smaller floor-standers with the W5-2143, kin to my W6-2144.

I've been listening when I have time - I still enjoy these speakers a lot! I read what you said about "detailed" for young ears being "tinnitus-triggering" for yours! These definitely have that high end, but I love having the speakers pointing right at me. I've done enough live sound that my HF hearing can handle the boost, but thankfully no tinnitus for me yet.

The midrange is very smooth, but without any kind of low-mid help that generally makes rock sound thick & heavy. In fact, a lot of 90s punk, or similar loud rock recordings almost come through as if on studio monitors - the snare doesn't punch very hard, and the guitars are very pin-pointed... to the degree of making you realize how much empty space there is between hard-panned guitars and C vocals! Thankfully, I can play the rock when I'm in the car somewhere and hear all the hype I need. So this "one weakness " doesn't bother me, as it was not one of my goals at all.

Speaking of goals?
Airy highs - Check.
Extended bass - Check
Pin-point imaging - Check.
Low distortion, clarity - Check.

WAF - ... ok these will never have the WAF factor... but I guess I had to learn that the hard way at least once.

With that list complete, the punk rock hype and low mid boom won't be missed.

I've really enjoyed listening to funk like Parcels and L'Imperatrice. Radiohead live from the basement... lots of YT stuff comes alive. My son will do some weight lifting and stretching in the same room, so he'll put on metal and video game soundtracks, some bass music, and they sound great on that too.

I've hooked up a couple of subs here and there, mainly to watch a movie with. I turn up the sub amp, and enjoy some extra bass. However, whenever I go back to just the "Piano Towers", I don't miss the sub at all. Soundtracks like Bladerunner 2049... Dune, etc. have great imaging, not only left - right, but even that hum of a city 20 miles away... such depth is present too.

Now I look forward to helping a friend with his W5's, and when I can I'd like to put a pair of W4's together in a 3.5' tall box for the living room.

Big thanks to GM and everyone else who helped out and gave feedback on the design!

Reactions: 1 user