DIY full range speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i am trying to get the knowledge and build a simple full range speaker floor standing, something very easy (no spl metering , no crossover designs etc) . I don't have any wood work skills or a friend so i will go to a wood work shop with the dimension of my floor standing dimension from a cabinet speaker calculator for the specific Full range driver .

Is there any links related to a such a simple project ? Because every link i found was to complicated for what i am trying to do .

For example i want to buy a Tang Band or seas or scanspeak driver hook it up to a floor standing sealed cabinet (made by the wood worker) with the right VAS lts , damp the box with dumping material and then connected the speaker to a Amp and play some music .
I currently have speaker, POLK AUDIO T50, so i will have some reference of the sound .

Could a such simple project end up with a good sounding experience overall ?

Last edited:
A floor standing closed box with full range driver is not a common combination. To generalise, full range drivers usually need help at the bass end, either with a reflex port, or some sort of line (tube).

I think the easiest build for you would be a ported enclosure, (which is a box, with a driver and a port, with some stuffing added.)

If you go to Lalena.com :- diyaudio and video :- speaker box designer, plug in your speaker specs and go for Butterworth ported, it will give you the volume of box and size of port. You can try out various drivers this way. You should be able to build a speaker that works.

However the floor standing aspect is a bit difficult. Unless the speaker is big, you would need to make it tall and narrow. This brings it into another sort of design called an MLTL, which you would need design plans for. Someone here might be able to help you with that.

Finally, a simple full range speaker will generally need to go near to the wall behind it, otherwise it will sound thin and bass light. If you want to find out why, look up baffle step correction.

Your budget Polk Audio T50 floorstander has been described as 'simply a great speaker at its price'.

Drivers include a one-inch silk dome tweeter, a 6.5-inch paper cone woofer, and two 6.5-inch passive radiators. The crossover is second-order (12 dB/octave) on both the woofer and tweeter.

Moving from this to a full range driver/sealed cabinet would be a challenge as midrange has explained.

What about the dimensions of your proposed speaker? Similar to those of the T50? Or could you accommodate a wider front baffle to take a large diameter driver?

If you can get Mark Audio speakers, look up Pensil cabinets: http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil-Series-set-100711.pdf

Other options, if you don't want floor-standers or can't get MarkAudio drivers, are the Woden-BabyLabs:http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Woden-BabyLabs-241018.pdf

You can also look int the TABAQ: TABAQ Tang Band Quarter Wave | audioXpress

These designs are all simple builds that can be cut by any woodworking shop or maybe even the store that sells the material. You only need the building material, some stuffing (pillow stuffing can work), terminal posts, and speaker wire.

And I have to disagree with not being able to get decent bass from a full range driver. I've built several and a lack of bass has never been an issue.
Mike

And I have to disagree with not being able to get decent bass from a full range driver. I've built several and a lack of bass has never been an issue.
Mike

I agree. I've built 6 pairs of floor standing enclosures using both 4" Tang Band and Alpair 7.3 drivers and the "lacking bass" hasn't been an issue. Of course you don't get the heavy duty Home Theatre bass. I do use an eight inch sub to help out but the speakers themselves are fine. The enclosures I built are challenging to build and I'm not advocating for their use, but the question seems to be can you get a nice sounding speaker using full range drivers and you definitely can especially with a well considered, correctly made enclosure.
Regards John L.

That's look great pencil cabinet looks promising . Is it going to work with Tang Band w8 2145 full range ? Or you have any other recommendation ?

I don't know anything about the Tang Band. If possible, you should go with the speaker designed for the particular Pensil cabinet. MarkAudio Alpair 10P should give some decent bass. I built a pair of Pensils with the MarkAudio CHP-70 drivers and am impressed with the sound quality, including the bass.
As far as the W8-2145, you can always do a Google search and see what you can find.
If you can get MarkAudio drivers where you're located, I would recommend going that route for a single driver, full range speaker.
Mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A floor standing closed box with full range driver is not a common combination.

Indeed. One of the few is the SEAS FA22. It is quite good. 50-60 litres or so IIRC.

FA22-calinda-enclosure.jpg

Most FRs expect you to use the output of the back of the driver to extend the bottom end of the speaker. Bass Reflex, Transmission Line, Horns being most common.

The TBs i have tried have not thrilled me, i rather like most of the Mark Audio, and Fostex has some decent speakers. There are lots more to look at.

dave

As of now the only simple way i see it to go with Pencil 12 - Alpair 12p.
But i will have to import the speaker driver Mark Audio Alpair 12p.

Something else i managed to find a reseller here in greece that has the

Scanspeak 10F/4424G00 10cm Full Range but its only 4"
We have any cabinet for this speaker and because its only 4" will it produce decent sound ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.