How do Markaudio fare against KEF LS50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Technically the Kef is in a different league. This is reflected in the cost of entry.

The price is a reflection of the money invested in the project, from RnD, marketing, show attending, labor cost, distributor's cut, profit, etc....

Don't confuse a commercial product with a driver you can buy for DIY projects. In term of manufacturing costs, both drivers are probably in the same price range. You just have to pay for all the other stuff with the LS50.

FWIW, I heard a pair of the LS50 at local dealer a few months ago - for those who can remember the days when our friends at the junction would be excited to show off anything in the shop to its best advantage, the demo was pretty much - where ya go Chris, I think you can figure out how to get the touch screen sever thing to work - let us know when you’re done. I guess my 20yrs on not buying anything entered into their calculus, but the attitude still pi$$ed me off - I don’t think Terry and Don would have been impressed.

In short, they were memorably “meh”. This shop used to a very lenient and enthusiastic home demo loan program but I was hardly interested enough to ask. Of course, the only MA speakers I currently have are floorstanders for A10.3 and A11MS, so any in home comparison wouldn’t quite be apples to apples.

Do it, i doubt you will regret it. I went that route, though not the LS50s (which i would very much like to hear still), i had similarly priced Dynaudio speakers before and built Scott's simple bookshelf for a pair of Alpair 10ps i got Enabled from Dave. To me, it was a clear upgrade. The Dynaudios (excite X16) sound great, but the clarity and soundstage of the 10ps is special. I was also surprised to find that they managed similar low end extension as the somewhat larger Dynaudios.

Do it, i doubt you will regret it. I went that route, though not the LS50s (which i would very much like to hear still), i had similarly priced Dynaudio speakers before and built Scott's simple bookshelf for a pair of Alpair 10ps i got Enabled from Dave. To me, it was a clear upgrade. The ) sound great, but the clarity and soundstage of the 10ps is special. I was also surprised to find that they managed similar low end extension as the somewhat larger Dynaudios.

Wow, thats a great speaker to be comparing to and to be considered an upgrade. I was thinking the a 7.3 build should i push for the 10? Are Scotts plans on this forum?

I have yet to hear LS50, but i have been very pleased with the latest A7.3 and A10.3/p.

MAs would certainly cost less.

Short of a floorstander, the optimum size i use for my miniOnken enclosures is 9/13/17 litres respectively, but a FH or Pensil will extract more from them.

dave

thank you i will look into some plans.

FWIW, I heard a pair of the LS50 at local dealer a few months ago - for those who can remember the days when our friends at the junction would be excited to show off anything in the shop to its best advantage, the demo was pretty much - where ya go Chris, I think you can figure out how to get the touch screen sever thing to work - let us know when you’re done. I guess my 20yrs on not buying anything entered into their calculus, but the attitude still pi$$ed me off - I don’t think Terry and Don would have been impressed.

In short, they were memorably “meh”. This shop used to a very lenient and enthusiastic home demo loan program but I was hardly interested enough to ask. Of course, the only MA speakers I currently have are floorstanders for A10.3 and A11MS, so any in home comparison wouldn’t quite be apples to apples.

Maybe i'll build some floorstanders with the 10 after an initial 7 bookshelf build.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I had a chance to hear the wireless self amplified LS50’s at a shop in Darmstadt. They were mounted on a shelf against a wall with 50 other speakers. They are in a different league as far as speakers go - very natural sounding and impressive bass for such a small box. It’s a very different animal since 2 way coaxial with DSP and wireless with Class D amp built in. I don’t think any full range driver could compete in this league except maybe in the soundstage and imaging area where full range speakers always have the advantage.

The W5-2143 in a small bass reflex cabinet might have a chance?

Photo shows the ones I heard - special edition version painted to look like Star Wars Death Star.

Attachments

• E9C5BA7C-1A01-4F8B-A020-8E9DBA711CF0.jpeg
    E9C5BA7C-1A01-4F8B-A020-8E9DBA711CF0.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
Visions?

They don’t have any realcapability to demo them … at least the last time i was in there.

Yes. So basically a store front with a cash register.:(

It’s a very different animal since 2 way coaxial with DSP and wireless with Class D amp built in.

They're also $2800 here, which places them in a completely different category for DIYer's.

jeff

A friend of mine has these and well, they're very, very good. Beautiful to look at too. BUT! They're pretty... Tame. A good full range driver just has an edge in liveliness, imaging and engaging presentation that's very hard to beat.

There's just something about the "oneness" of a full range driver that engages some listeners (but leaves others stone cold). I personally think it has a lot to do with the unexplored regions of our psychoacoustic system, that subconsciously likes singular sound sources a lot more that multiple drivers. So yes, are the LS50's great speakers for hours of musical fun? Sure. So are the Mark Audio's.

Anyway, for the price of even a used pair of LS50's you can build a top of the line Markaudio build and have loads of money left for stupid black discs or fancy amplification, and I think the experience of listening to a good FR driver is worth the price of admission at any rate.

If you have the chance, I'd find a Friendly Local Audiophile with good full range speakers and have a listen to see if you have the single driver bug - aka the psychoacoustic inclination to like single drivers over multiple ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.