How do Markaudio fare against KEF LS50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It is a bit rich to quote Toole on this one thing and ignore his life's work, which is linking objective performance (on- and off-axis frequency response) to subjective listener preferences. I would much rather you admit that the A7 has flaws, but it is simple to build and can make you happy on a budget. There are reasons other than how they sound to play with full range drivers--fun, cost, simplicity, and an easy entry into DIY. I have built with several full range drivers, even with many Mark Audio drivers. They are fun to play with, but I'm not going to tell others that they are going to blow out other more neutral-sounding designs.

Nothing special?

I think the massive breakup at 1.5kHz, and the dip at 6.2kHz (cone shape?) are pretty special.

Add the fact that they drop like a brick at 12kHz, and that being on axis?

I thought I remembered seeing that FR response before, I wasn't sure where.
Good to know. Maybe why they are discontinued?

742818d1552587229-markaudio-fare-kef-ls50-thd_db_85dbspl_1m-png

I was trying to be diplomatic. Biting my tongue.

Geddes did significant studies that showed the distortion we measure does not correlat ewell to what we hear.

Interestingly, Toole & Olive did significant studies showing that good measurements (plural) correlate well with a positive listening experience.

I think you may also miss the point. The frequency response measured above is horrid to say the least. There could be many reasons for that, the driver just being one of them.

Here are the measurements of the KEF LS50 for comparison:
Frequency response vs horizontal angle:
KEF%20LS50%20H%20Freq%20Resp%20Plot%20Q1.png

Waterfall:
KEF%20LS50%20H%20Waterfall%20Plot%20Q1.png

Contour:
KEF%20LS50%20H%20Contour%20Plot.png

Full data set: 3D3A Lab at Princeton University

Tom

Correct. The THD measurement is a near field measurement.
* mic was placed at 1m to set SPL, then moved close to the cone to allow reliable THD in normal room. Mic used is a lab grade one that handles that loud SPL with mic's own distortion being much lower than the speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.