marine 2 or 4 inch speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am putting together a portable speaker with amp and power source. I already have an amp. AMP

I am trying to keep this compact and needs to be able to run all day. I am more interested in the volume than the best sound. I need this to get loud. So I need some input on some speakers. I really don't want to go with 6.5-inch speakers unless I have to to get some decent volume. They need to be marine speakers as this will be outside in the elements. I am trying to keep the cost down aswell. Seems like a tall order but I hope someone has some suggestions.

If I go with 6.5-inch speakers, will I get a lot more volume and better sound?
The main point I was making is to go for the highest sensitivity you can get for the price you want to pay. A few dB extra makes a big difference to the loudness.

If the Polk Audio marine speakers do not meet your requirements it would be helpful if you explained why not.

A 6.5" speaker of the same sensitivity as a 4" speaker will give you the same midrange volume level, but will obviously have more extension in the bass.

I am wondering what the sound is like.
If you are looking, for example, at the Visaton FR 10 FP 4" speaker then please note that it is below average sensitivity at 85 dB/W/m and will play much quieter than the 91dB/W/m speakers mentioned earlier. You can't even compensate by applying more amplifier power as these speakers are rated at only 20W. There's no such thing as a free lunch so take both power rating and sensitivity into consideration when making your final choice, if maximum loudness is still your objective.

FR 10 WP - 4 Ohm (black) | Visaton

Hope the polks work well in your application.

Being car/marine speakers, they won't be too fussy regarding the box.

A sealed box built in proportion to the size of the speaker grilles is likely to give good results.

A ported (reflex) enclosure would not suit these speakers.

Here is my final project. Sounds pretty good and plenty loud. I wanted to keep it small so this seemed to be my best bet. I know each speaker should have its own box, but I would have had to use a bigger box. Would adding any filler be of any benefit?

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_153932.jpg
    IMG_20190311_153932.jpg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190312_153529.jpg
    IMG_20190312_153529.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 48
That's a great functional design! Well done!

In stereo, the bass usually comes equally from each speaker so I think you can get away with having both in the same enclosure without one overly affecting the other.

One improvement I would suggest would be to stiffen up the front panel internally with a plywood sheet.

Adding some internal damping would be a good idea (perhaps the fibre filling from an old pillowcase) to reduce enclosure resonances.

Keep the absorbent material well away from the amplifier though, perhaps by containing it inside a cotton bag.

That's a great functional design! Well done!

In stereo, the bass usually comes equally from each speaker so I think you can get away with having both in the same enclosure without one overly affecting the other.

One improvement I would suggest would be to stiffen up the front panel internally with a plywood sheet.

Adding some internal damping would be a good idea (perhaps the fibre filling from an old pillowcase) to reduce enclosure resonances.

Keep the absorbent material well away from the amplifier though, perhaps by containing it inside a cotton bag.

Thanks, Galu. I couldn't think of a filler to use. I bet the pillow stuff will work perfectly. I actually had this setup to go in a dry box have the size of the one I used. I was going to have to cut the speaker covers in the areas that they hung over the edge of the box. I ended up going with the bigger box because my battery was about a 1/4 of an inch to big. It wouldn't slide in behind the speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.