Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ikea Variera speakers
Ikea Variera speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 10:55 AM   #71
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The effect of a high value capacitor(s) in series with the driver might not be what you expect.

I asked the question about this in a thread entitled

"Disadvantages of a capacitor in series with the main driver"

Some interesting stuff in it (not from me)
Old Today, 06:56 PM   #72
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Well if I look at it from a strictly electrical point of view the 600 uF does nothing above 30 Hz and the cone flaps just as much as with no cap. At the other end 100 uF cuts in at 100 Hz or so.

Judging from the impedance graphs it looks like something in the order of 200-300 uF should work out. I have to measure accoustic response and listen as well. The cap also adds phase changes and that should change how the driver and port interact.

I will look into that thread, thanks for the information. Busy with work so progress will be slow, but hopefully steady.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old Today, 08:00 PM   #73
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I looked at the nearfield response of the cone. The ideal would be that the cap does not affect the cone output above the port dip or the port dip just cut away cone motions below the cone dip.

Below are the graphs the first is the original the second has the responses normalized to the capless response.
The 100 uF (Blue) cuts away to much. The brown-red-orange (600-500-400) has small effect on the cone output above 50 Hz but not much protection below that either.

The green at 200uF looks like a resonable compromise. I think I will try to measure and listen to 200 and 150uF to balance reduced cone flapping vs bass output.

Just to complicate matters, should I test an even smaller cap for cutting out deep bass then need to have the baffle step filter and peak trap reinstalled...

Last edited by DrBoar; Today at 08:03 PM. Reason: complications perhaps

Ikea Variera speakersHide this!Advertise here!