Audio Nirvana Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
Been reviewing possible speakers for a DIY build. This site kind of intrigued me as I have used full range speakers in the past and some with good results. I have never heard of this company before so I figured I would start here for comments - the good ,bad and the ugly.

I will offer a short cut for you, a distillation of all my research and experience with the Audio Nirvana drivers

- best value in my opinion - the Audio Nirvana Ferrite 12" Super (with whizzer). Put it into an open backed box, add some stuffing at the back (look up Boffle). job done.

This is based on my own experience with their 15" driver (the version I have no longer available and the AlNiCo version too expensive). The nearest equivalent to what I used is the one I've listed above. Other versions of their drivers have issues such as fall off in bass response, ragged treble, insufficient cone diameter for meaningful bass, insufficient treble dispersion (no woofer) or just too expensive. 2nd choice after the 12" Super Ferrite is the 10" Super AlNiCo.

These large drivers sound amazing.

+1 everything Bigun just said. I tried the Boffle + subwoofer with crossover at 70Hz and very pleased. Also tried my SuperCast 12 in a sealed 2 cubic ft and quite happy with the results. Someone on the forum suggested 3 cf sealed and I suspect that has great merit too. Nelson Pass had some nice things to say about these drivers as well. Have tried a wide range of amps on mine from Tripath to Class AB to El84 tubes all performed admirably. You might consider MJK's H frame subwoofer to cover the low bass. The Goldwood 18 is a good match in SPL. This is not my speaker of choice for head banger volumes but for everything else OH YEAH!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.