Damping Materials

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy,

If this should be in a different thread please feel free to move this.

I'm having trouble sourcing the Ultra Touch felt that Dave recommends in the Frugal Horn builds. It seems that I can get 2" or 3" thick pieces, but not half inch. Also It seems like Boded Logic is having production issues, at least according to one of the distributers I spoke with. In looking for alternatives, I wonder what really matters in the properties of the felt. There are many things out there to use and does the type of felt used really affect the sound quality of the speaker?

I've found 1/2" thick polyester felt for auto carpet underlayment that is reasonably priced. Does the poly give a different sound that cotton or wool? What about Homasote? That is 1/2" thick and while a rigid board is easy to work with. I appreciate any help you all can provide.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We of as of late use this product in its 13mm guise: HVAC << Bonded Logic. The black backing makes for easy installation and easy removal (leaving the black bit behind.

A little thicker than we use but would work: UltraLiner™ Sound Blanket << Bonded Logic

There are other acoustical products — all somewhat thicker than optimal.

A little thin and the aluminum would need peeling off: http://bondedlogic.com/pdf/radiant-barrier/radiant-barrier-spec-sheet.pdf

Wool felts from McMasterCarr or other felt suppliers can be looked at.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Some of the best sound dampening material is melamine sponge foam blocks. This is a super fine (nano structure) reticulated foam originally developed by BASF for professional sound abatement called “Basotect”. I think once the patent expired, it was a free for all. Also known as miracle eraser cleaning pads. You can buy a pack of 100 from China for $7 shipping included. They are 10cm x 6cm x 2cm thick. I don’t think any other material works better. It’s fireproof too relative to plastic based foams as melamine doesn’t burn easily. For lining the back chamber of a speaker cabinet where the rear of a cone has direct line of sight, use of this foam eliminates any “boxy” sounding signature.

cq5dam.web.16-9.6.jpg

Basotect(R)

You can get melamine foam from many places for example:

20/50/100PCS Cleaning Magic Sponge Eraser Melamine Cleaner Multi-functional Foam | eBay

You can get large sheets used for buildings etc but they are pricey as they come in large quantities.

Last edited:
Some of the best sound dampening material is melamine sponge foam blocks. This is a super fine (nano structure) reticulated foam originally developed by BASF for professional sound abatement called “Basotect”. I think once the patent expired, it was a free for all. Also known as miracle eraser cleaning pads. You can buy a pack of 100 from China for $7 shipping included. They are 10cm x 6cm x 2cm thick. I don’t think any other material works better. It’s fireproof too relative to plastic based foams as melamine doesn’t burn easily. For lining the back chamber of a speaker cabinet where the rear of a cone has direct line of sight, use of this foam eliminates any “boxy” sounding signature.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Basotect(R)

20/50/100PCS Cleaning Magic Sponge Eraser Melamine Cleaner Multi-functional Foam | eBay

You can get large sheets used for buildings etc but they are pricey as they come in large quantities.

As Dave says, bigger sheets would be nice. But also you can just kinda tile the wall with the small sponges.

Bob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Dave,

I spoke with the vendor in Minnesota and he seems very nice to deal with. They stock the 1/2" duct liner, and will sell less than a full roll. Did you get my latest email with construction detail questions?

Yes. I have been moving slowly these last few days as we have had a big dump of snow (after none in calender 2018) that perturbs everything.

dave

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Basotect(R)

Interesting! Is anyone aware of some damping data/measurements comparing Basotec/Magic Sponges to other more common materials (like open-cell "egg" foam, or felt)? It would be nice to see some numbers or curves, especially if it would show how the different damping materials perform vs. frequency.

Dave, I have a 1/2" x 4' x 75' roll of UltraTouch purchased through Home Depot that I plan to use as a radiant barrier in my shop ceiling but I will have plenty left over for speaker use. Does it really make an acoustic difference if the foil backing stays on? It seems like it would make applying it easier as I was planning to firmly attach it to the speaker walls with contact cement. Do you and chrisb tack it loosely to the walls with staples, in which case I would understand removing the backing?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Howdy,

If this should be in a different thread please feel free to move this.

I'm having trouble sourcing the Ultra Touch felt that Dave recommends in the Frugal Horn builds. It seems that I can get 2" or 3" thick pieces, but not half inch. Also It seems like Boded Logic is having production issues, at least according to one of the distributers I spoke with. In looking for alternatives, I wonder what really matters in the properties of the felt. There are many things out there to use and does the type of felt used really affect the sound quality of the speaker?

I've found 1/2" thick polyester felt for auto carpet underlayment that is reasonably priced. Does the poly give a different sound that cotton or wool? What about Homasote? That is 1/2" thick and while a rigid board is easy to work with. I appreciate any help you all can provide.
The Felt Store Canada | Shop Online Craft, Wool & Industrial Felt
– thefeltstore.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.