Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cone treatment to widen highs of fullrange driver?
Cone treatment to widen highs of fullrange driver?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2019, 02:00 PM   #21
Joseph Crowe is offline Joseph Crowe  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've been able to successfully widen the dispersion by implementing a circular baffle of special design. I also noticed improved time domain acoustical measurements which I think contributed the most to the subjective improvement to the sound. After adding the circular baffles to my floorstanding speakers I had to apply a more aggressive baffle step filter. I believe this was due to the increased high frequency output from the averaged response within the 0 to 30 degree off-axis listening window...even though the on-axis frequency response changed very little.

I also saw subtle improvement in the spectrogram burst decay results in the region between 4kHz - 20kHz (see pictures)

I wasn't expecting this but the impulse response improved from 1.3ms to 0.8ms as well.

The curved front face is a exponential spiral curve which I've had very good results using in some of my front horns. So my rationale was to utilize this same curve equation in a circular baffle, which is what you see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Circular Baffle.jpg (237.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg burst square.jpg (260.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg burst circle.jpg (234.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IR Square.jpg (155.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IR Circle.jpg (156.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg section.jpg (262.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg front view.jpg (253.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg rear view.jpg (297.2 KB, 23 views)

Cone treatment to widen highs of fullrange driver?Hide this!Advertise here!