Cheap 8" full-range that works well in ~1cu.ft vented enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, and the 1.05 cu. at 42hz looks like trash.

Not really, the vast majority of vintage BRs including Altec, JBL [AKA 'West Coast Sound'] were similarly tuned and only very few folks using them nowadays feel the need to re-tune and/or start from scratch.

Where they fall short of course is they ideally need to be hi-passed [AKA TT 'rumble' filter] when playing today's wider BW CDs, movie soundtracks.

GM

Tweeter is bad in BG20. Bas and mid is great.

Hi, I am very much at the experimental stage of speaker building, and have a small stash of likely candidates, two of which are BG20's.

You say that the BG20 has bad tweeter performance. I am trying to ascertain a level of understanding about this matter, as I have heard this said before about full range whizzer drivers. I have also heard that the BG20 is in fact a very good driver, only that it takes several hundred hours for the cone to break in and become supple enough for a nice sweet treble.

Surely removing the whizzer would damage the overall frequency response? And when you say the treble is bad, what kind of bad? Is it harsh, or directionally beamy?

These are innocent questions as the Visaton BG20 has been around for a very long time, and is highly regarded in the PA fraternity.

ToS

I fall in with the minority who think the whizzer is blamed for what the main cone is doing right next to it. It is a horn and has those issues unless the perimeter of the mouth is damped with foam...which also damps the main cone. JMO I have no measurements to confirm this notion. I do like what this treatment does to the sound.

Hi, I am very much at the experimental stage of speaker building, and have a small stash of likely candidates, two of which are BG20's.

You say that the BG20 has bad tweeter performance. I am trying to ascertain a level of understanding about this matter, as I have heard this said before about full range whizzer drivers. I have also heard that the BG20 is in fact a very good driver, only that it takes several hundred hours for the cone to break in and become supple enough for a nice sweet treble.

Surely removing the whizzer would damage the overall frequency response? And when you say the treble is bad, what kind of bad? Is it harsh, or directionally beamy?

These are innocent questions as the Visaton BG20 has been around for a very long time, and is highly regarded in the PA fraternity.

ToS

Maybe it get better when the driver have run for 200 hours.
But the tweeter lost the energy over 5000 - 20000 Hz.
The bg20 sounds dark.

On youtube can you find Visaton bg20 comparing Visaton B200. Bg20 sounds dark.

Last edited:
Maybe it get better when the driver have run for 200 hours.
But the tweeter lost the energy over 5000 - 20000 Hz.
The bg20 sounds dark.

On youtube can you find Visaton bg20 comparing Visaton B200. Bg20 sounds dark.

The BG200 is a lot more money. My intention is to put a BG20 into a front loaded horn with a compression chamber, and that presents a whole slew of challenges. And as you say - maybe - after 200 hours, the BG20 breaks in. Still inconclusive to me, and I'm OK with that. Still, there is the option of sandpapering/doping/crenellating the whizzer to see what happens.

After all the BG20 is very cheap and thus rather good for experimentation :)

ToS

I fall in with the minority who think the whizzer is blamed for what the main cone is doing right next to it. It is a horn and has those issues unless the perimeter of the mouth is damped with foam...which also damps the main cone. JMO I have no measurements to confirm this notion. I do like what this treatment does to the sound.

Been there, done that, though IME most times prefer the $0.98 tweak, which cures more than not and deal with virtually all whizzers by kneading some/all the starch out of them with my fingers and if they turn out sounding too dull I can always use [multiple coatings of] super cheap lacquer hairspray to stiffen them up and/or shellac them [airbrushed] for extreme cases.

GM

My favorite widerange ever was a SEAS 4.5" back in the eighties when I was doing car audio. It's whizzer was almost as wide as the main cone, and had a kind of flanged edge. It was good...it was SEAS. I loved that Scandinavian stuff, especially after moving on from Dynaudio/Morel to Scanspeak.

Other than the occasional audition I've had little exposure to cone/dome brands, though there use to be a mini Madisound just up the street, so have lots of '90s era spec sheets and eyeballed/auditioned a number of Vifa, Morel, Seas, Dynaudio, etc., drivers/'monkey coffins' with a tough call between the latter two.

Sounds interesting, but don't recall ever seeing one and TTBOMK no exposure to Euro mobile audio other than Becker, Blaupunkt.

GM

I suspect removal of the whizzer improves BG20's off axis response moreso than its on-axis. Without the whizzer, its something like a poor man's B200 response-wise

graph of BG20 sans whizzer from Visaton forum 0, 15, 30 off axis
rCNpHvn.jpg

graph of stock BG20 "yellow" (~on speaker center axis) in Karlson Twelve / "K12"
(the aqua trace is an Eminence Beta10cx woofer without any network - IIRC)
rfrcpX7.gif

it would not hurt to roll in a helper tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.