Alpair 10p Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Boxes done and up and running. Test boxes only. Sound far exceeded my expectations. Push pull 6B4G amp, passive transformer pre, older Opus 4 with P3A DAC.

Attachments

• 15664049292297080527012026045752.jpg
    15664049292297080527012026045752.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 327
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It depends how you wire the 2 drivers together.

In parallel, one gets a 6dB sensitivity increase (3dB efficiency increase), at the expense of some high frequency combing which you may or may not have an issue with.

If you want to use only one driver at HF then either wire in parallel with inductor in series with one driver or wire inseries and shunt one driver with a big cap. The former gives 6dB more level below the inductor or in the latter one gets the same sensitivity of 1 driver across the band, but below the cap you have 2 drivers moving air, not just one. This last is the one i like.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/Dual-Driver-Wiring.pdf

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What's the value for the cap ? Tks

Depends on where you want to cross.

It is not overly critical since the sensitivity should not change.

First you want to be at least big enuff to be below the quarter-wavelength of the 2 drivers centre-to-centre. At the other end it is more open ended but i like it to be somewhere around the baffle step.

The higher you cross the louder you should be able to play.

For a 1st pass i’d use the text-book XO for the quarter-wavelength and then bump it up to the next convenient size.

I wouldn’t use anything less than one of the cheap Solen polys.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.