Questions about F3 and Tuning/Cone Excursion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, everyone!

I've been doing a ton of research for a pair of full-range speakers I'm making for my wife using Dayton Audio PS95-8. I've included a graph that shows the "Transfer Function Magnitude" for how I've planned the box and filter, etc. Box is tuned for 128.37 Hz and the F3 (with the filter) is about 153 Hz.

I guess I have two questions:

1) I read and saw in a video that it is very important to have the speaker box tuned to be "close" to the F3 of the driver. However, I have only seen this in reference to subwoofers. How close should the F3 be to the box's tuning, and is it important for full-range drivers or mainly for subwoofers?

2) I am trying to balance having a decent F3 with an acceptable max cone excursion (I've attached the cone excursion graph with and without the filter I'm hoping to use).... Thoughts in general? :)

Thank you everyone!
Jess

Attachments

• FullRange_TransferFunctionMagnitude.PNG
    FullRange_TransferFunctionMagnitude.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 109
  • ConeExcursion_WFilter.PNG
    ConeExcursion_WFilter.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 111
  • ConeExcursion_WOFilter.PNG
    ConeExcursion_WOFilter.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 113
In my opinion it is not critical. If you choose a correct Qtc, you're good to go.
I would estimate excursion / Fc based on the level you want to get. In near field I would leave it without Hp. And the brain is able at reconstructing the fundamental of the lower notes. Often better than speakers.
If you use a sub, you have to think about the complete system.

Hello!

Thank you for your insight. I'm happy to say I was able to get the Qtc to 0.771 (which from what I understand is pretty good for this speaker in a sealed enclosure), so I will not worry about the box tuning.

You said, "In near field I would leave it without Hp."
Is that because we won't listen to it loud enough to cause cone excursion?

Thank you again!
Jess

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.