IKEA Cabinet Doors for OB...I Can't Find The Thread!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm losing my cookies over this. Last night I read a great post by a fellow who used IKEA cabinet doors for his open baffles, but also had them elevated and mounted to restaurant-grade cast iron table pedestals. Looked VERY nice. He had a parts list and sources for all the small parts he found to complete the job.

I thought I subscribed to the thread, but apparently not. Searched here and also my browser history - and cannot find the thread again! And no...I wasn't tipping the bottle either!

I'm going bonkers trying to find it! Can anyone please help me locate this thread?

Thanks!

May, may not be better looking, but do yourself a favor and offset the driver in both planes at an acoustically acceptable room ratio to average out the panel's eigenmodes.

GM

GM...I'm all ears on this...pun intended! For those of us less technically astute, can you please expand a bit on this - in layperson's terms?

Are we talking about 2 different planes, or moving driver along two different AXIS, as in offsetting the driver away from the midpoint of the baffle?

Thanks!

Hmm, never been asked this and not sure which is more correct, i.e. offset in both the horizontal and vertical planes is how I've seen it in admittedly now ancient texts.

Eigenmodes = standing waves. At this point it gets technical, so recommend researching room modes and more specifically, acceptable room ratios, which has [3] planes [H, W, D] of eigenmodes and with the understanding that a flat panel will have [3] also, though depth can be ignored unless it's a significant percentage of the shorter of the other two.

Note too that a flat panel is like a horn mouth, open pipe terminus, etc., in that its acoustical area is somewhat greater than its physical area [AKA end correction]. In short, for general simming, it's ~ a 1/2 octave larger, so for quick guesstimates if you want the panel to load to 300 Hz/F6 in free space, then ~13560/pi/[300*1.4142] = ~10.18" square.

For 2pi or greater space loadings, best for the casual designer to use Hornresp or other program to sim. I'm guessing MJK's MathCad worksheet is the best overall.

FWIW, the most common ratio used around here is the 0.618:1.618:2.618 golden ratio, but there's dozens of acceptable room [acoustic] ratios to choose from around the net as well as room mode calculators to do it when using the correct conversion.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.