Bang for the buck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just getting into the DIY loudspeaker game and the driver choices are overwhelming. I'd love to hear suggestions for brands or specific drivers that really ring the bell when it comes to performance at a given cost. I've looked at a lot of Dayton Audio drivers on Parts Express, and it doesn't seem like they get topped too often, but any other suggestions would be welcome. My main priority is small woofer drivers, with the expectation that low frequency extension is likely limited, but any other general thoughts are welcomed. Thanks!

Well, to narrow it down to my current search -- small woofers (4" or below) suitable for vented boxes, plastic or aluminum cones. No need for full range (as provided by the Mark Audio Alpair 7.3).

Well, considering that you posted in the Full Range section of the forums, I think it's normal you got the suggestions above.

Since you still don't want to share your design goals and budget, I think you might want to move to the Multi-Way forum and try your luck there.

You might get lucky! :)

To reinforce both Perceval and mikejennan’s comments, don’t be surprised to see at least a few more endorsements for the general concept of (single) full-range driver systems, and specific Mark Audio models as delivering bang for the buck.

Unless you’ve actually heard a well implemented system with such a driver, I’d counsel against dismissing the category out of hand. Of course, as Dave noted context is very important, so without understanding the application it’d be difficult for anyone to formulate a short list of candidates.

1.5L box, water resistant. (Are the aluminum cone drivers sold by Dayton et al "water resistant"? I don't see anything in the materials that looks like it would degrade if it got a little wet. I'm not looking to drop this in the pool or anything like that but it could get splashed.)

Oh, wow! :eek:

That certainly narrows it down.
Why on earth are you looking for a Woofer for a 1.5 liter box? It makes no sense at all to make a multi way setup that small.

I would just start looking at 2.5" FR units fitting a closed box myself, but maybe someone else has a magic trick that can summon glorious deep bass from a milk carton or soda bottle.

Not trying to offend you, but a multi way requiring a woofer made in 1.5 liters seems to me way too much work for what you get back in sound. A small FR does it all, and quite well, at this enclosure volume. You will not get much sound under 80hz or so, but that's the price you pay.

A 2.5" FR unit is cheap, and will probably make you reasonably happy by itself.

Last edited:
To reinforce both Perceval and mikejennan’s comments, don’t be surprised to see at least a few more endorsements for the general concept of (single) full-range driver systems, and specific Mark Audio models as delivering bang for the buck.

Cross overs can be a minefield so full range drivers can be very attractive.
I use Fane 12-250TC and Fane 15-300TC. (TC=Triple Cone drivers)
I have a pair of the 12's in a sealed cabinet and have got good results.

Oh, wow! :eek:

That certainly narrows it down.
Why on earth are you looking for a Woofer for a 1.5 liter box? It makes no sense at all to make a multi way setup that small.

I'm not sure it makes NO sense . . . I've already done simulations that meet my needs. I'm looking for an F3 in the 55-60 Hz range. This is to pair with an existing small portable speaker. I realize that a green sheet approach might likely go down a different path, but I don't have that luxury for this particular application.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.