Wide Range Driver Suggestions Please :-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m looking for suggestions for a full range driver, andwould be grateful for relevant recommendations.

A bit of background first: I have played with a few fullrange/wide range drivers and like what they do. My main setup at home has been a pair of DIY hybrid electrostats (ERAudio 505 Minipanels) and I like what they do. However, the sweet spot is fairly small, like many electrostats.

Recently I came across some wide range 10” Richard Allan CG10T, and after a quick modification to some old cabinets I had, had them upand running. I was really impressed for a 1960’s driver, the soundstage was very deep and natural. Frequency response was down a little at the top end, but they are still very enjoyable as they are. They also sound a lot more relaxed than a lot of smaller drivers.

The electrostats are now in the shed, and the Richard Allan CG10Ts are in the lounge running full range off an 8WPC Pass ACA (V1.6) which is a lovely amp. The bottom end is ably sorted by a pair of Rythmik 12” servo subs.

I have played with a number of smaller drivers such as the Alpair 7.3, Seas FU10RB, Vifa TC09FD amongst others, and though I like them, I am enjoying the effortless sound of a larger, more efficient driver.

Now to the point:
I am looking for a larger wide range driver, perhaps 6”-12”, that has a reasonably high sensitivity, mid 90’s would be ideal, but low 90’s should still be OK. A couple that have come to mind are the Alpair 10P and 12P, although the 12P would definitely be at the top of the budget. If I can find a pair of Richard Allan CG8T at a good price, I’d like to try those.

The cabinet would ideally be sealed, as the subwoofers willtake over from the natural roll off of the wide range.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,

Matt.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like the A10p (and the A12pw) better than the A12p. All 3 are really good drivers and i have happily used ACA to drive them.

Some of the vintage FRs do amazingly well, the RIchard Allens i have heard were quite good (all smaller than 10”) but i feel the best modern drivers have finally surpassed the best vintage FRs from the late 50s/early 60s, before higher power SS amps started the trend to smaller many-ways speakers that were less efficient.

The Fostex FF165wk is also worth looking at.

dave

Thanks Dave for the response.

What is the 10p like for “scale”, I.e for something like large orchestral works? I’ll have subwoofers below and listening levels are not huge (8 watts). I have varied tastes but really like what wide range drivers can achieve.

Also, what is the 10P like off axis? Does it still sound reasonably balanced FR wise? Just for when the rest of the family are in the room too.

Thanks,

Matt

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What is the 10p like for “scale”, I.e for something like large orchestral works? I’ll have subwoofers below and listening levels are not huge (8 watts).

How high do the subwoofers go and how are they arranged?

XO point and details can be changed up or down in a trade-off that looks at loud, keeping bass out of the midTweeter, keeping as much as the spectrum done by the midTweeter as possible, how the woofers work

I have imagined 3 WAW systems that use the A10p are midTweeter because, in the case of the OB, they are more capable in no box, and in 2 systems that make the A10p a midTweeter with no excuses when playing rock-n-roll.

The OB will have 2 10” (or 4 if i can figure out how to integrate them) OB specific woofers pr side.

Here is a sketch with A7 midTweeter (with a pr of A12pw Mar-Kens, you can use just one) but it is modular and one can swap in an A10p midTweeter (or A6.2 or A5.2 or whatever you want).

MK12pw-A7-MTM.png

The last is the same scheme, but the 35 litre Mar-Ken12pwT with a pair of similar but 160 litre boxes loaded with TAD 15”.

I have varied tastes but really like what wide range drivers can achieve.

Indeed. The seamlessness of a good FR is addictive. A WAW or a subSat takes that and marries it with how ever much bass you can afford.

Also, what is the 10P like off axis?

The A10p has what i call a vintage top end. I have no issues with its dispersion, people offen sit far off axis. All my A10ps are A10PeN thou.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Opps forgot… the only factory off-axis factory data i have is for the A7.3. The A10p has an even wider cone profit, but is wider. I would expect simialr measure results.

attachment.php

The new mono suspension drivers go even further in terms of cone shape. Unfortuneatly paper is not conductive to holding that shape.

dave

Attachments

• A73-FR-on-off-axis.gif
    A73-FR-on-off-axis.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,110
I’m looking for suggestions for a full range driver, andwould be grateful for relevant recommendations.

A bit of background first: I have played with a few fullrange/wide range drivers and like what they do. My main setup at home has been a pair of DIY hybrid electrostats (ERAudio 505 Minipanels) and I like what they do. However, the sweet spot is fairly small, like many

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,

Matt.

Just to offer something else than MA drivers ( funny how the same suggestions keep popping up all the time).

The Fane, either in the 12" or 15" version have very good reviews here.
It would be worth the look.

New 15" full range- FANE

Thanks for the responses.

The subwoofers (2) are in their own cabinets and can be moved around. Currently they are sitting beneath the mains and they sound pretty good there. I’ve attached a “maximum response” graph, although the manufacturer recommends an 80Hz or lower XO.

Also, would the 11MS be worth considering?

Cheers,

Matt

Attachments

• CDE22C48-2A1F-4C15-BACB-E02C6BFCE19F.jpeg
    CDE22C48-2A1F-4C15-BACB-E02C6BFCE19F.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 490
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The poor hi-end respnse of the woofers means you have a sat/subs situation. Low XO means that the FR will cover most of the range, but ultimate listening levels will be limited.

For A10p or A11ms sealed box (of 8 or 5 litre) will get you to 90 Hz and provide 2 poles of an XO.

A11ms represents the latest salvo in the race to make the best “reasonably priced 5” FR.

We auditioned Eikona/A10.3eN/A11ms, and the latter was a clear winner. The treated A10.3 did some things better than either (EnABLing them will very likely fix that), the Eikona did some things better than the A10.3eN. People with Eikona and stock A10.3 (very few) put the Eikona ahead.

The A10p has a different voicing and some 3 dB greater efficiency and is expected to continue along withed Jordan) A11ms. In the past i have sold A10PeN about 2:1 to A10.3eN.

The master (Tis no longer around to respond, so the apprentise’s (Mark Fenlon) work will need another challenger. And with the mono suspension the new Mark Audio drivers achieve something Ted sought for a long time but only acieved in his smallest drivers.

It went something like this: JX92/JX92s/A10.1/A10.2/A10.3/Eikona/A11ms.

dave

Attachments

• A11ms-sealed.png
    A11ms-sealed.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 444
  • A10p-sealed.gif
    A10p-sealed.gif
    43.6 KB · Views: 54
Just to chip in with my 2 cents worth.. Have been playing with a pair of Alpair 12pw for the past year, first in an open baffle, then in full transmission line cabs.. Conclusion.. never again..
Have to be the worst drivers I have ever heard. Massive peaks and troughs all over the range but especially at the top end which is so harsh at certain frequencies at to un-listenable..
Now given them to a friend who has them in ported boxes and he is talking about making a bonfire out of them..

Read quite a few reviews that are positive, and a few that are not. Hard to work out what is going on with them but am guessing that I was maybe just unlucky and that the odd pair are not up to spec. 800 hours of running in to find out they are nowhere near as good as a pair of cheap Chinese FR drivers (cost £16 a pair, sound very good) is disappointing to say the least.. Will not be throwing my money away at any Mark Audio drivers again..

So, it was a pair, and both of them had a rough top end? And it is the 12PW?
Not saying I don't believe it, but it seems a bit strange.

I have some 10.2, "rough and harsh" is not what comes to mind when I listen to them.
The 12PW should be more "flat-ish" with a top end leaning towards "mellow"?
But I've never heard the 12PW myself though, just think your experience seems a bit away from the average.

I’m looking for suggestions for a full range driver, andwould be grateful for relevant recommendations..

You can buy Soviet speakers 4A-28 from Russia, 1977 year ,looks like new:

Ломо 4А-28 купить в Саратовской области на Avito — Объявления на сайте Авито

specifications:

Effective frequency range 70 Hz - 14,000
The level of the characteristic sensitivity dB / W m * 93
Uneven frequency response: 16 dB
Rated electrical resistance of 16 ohms
Limiting noise (passport) power: 6W
Fundamental resonance frequency: Hz 50 - 70
Dimensions mm: d258x90
Weight: 1500 g

4617343811.jpg

frequency response:
http://forum.vegalab.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=127636&d=1309687312

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.