Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

has anyone built a TLine or Horn using a 2.5in driver?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2018, 08:47 AM   #1
3rutu5 is offline 3rutu5  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default has anyone built a TLine or Horn using a 2.5in driver?

Guys, i've been reading around and looking to make some form of maze for the internals and want to recycle the speakers from a logitech Z-2300 setup. All the information i could find is that they are

2.5" polished aluminum phase plug drivers, 40w RMS @ 8 ohms at 1khz at 10% THD.

Click the image to open in full size.

I would like to do something like this (or similar) where i get to use a template and router. Budget is really free as i have scrap pine sheets, these speakers already and plenty of wire/paint/glue etc. (to be honest more interested in the woodworking component). But would like to hear from the masses if somebody has designed and built one with a similar sized driver.

I have already built a 3.5" t line for a set of PC speakers where the folds were minimal and based on somebody elses design, this one would be trying to make the best sound out of a tiny driver with no real financial impacts (may buy a resistor/inductor if it makes a significant impact for a BSC).

oh and i will be looking to power with no more that a 5-15w per channel amp board.

any help (or designs) would be greatly appreciated as i dont really understand the back end of speaker design, just want to get a length, volume and go nuts.
Old 25th December 2018, 09:28 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

If these are the Z-2300, then from here: Logitech Z-2300 : The Last of the Titans - Performance - Audio

Fs = 42.95 Hz
Re = 7.80 ohms [dc]
Le = 7328.42 uH
L2 = 3120.63 uH
R2 = 52.25 ohms
Qt = 0.52
Qes = 0.57
Qms = 6.49
Mms = 50.81 grams
Rms = 2.112233 kg / s
Cms = 0.000270 m / N
Vas = 10.35 liters
Sd = 165.13 cm ^ 2
Bl = 13.755757 Tm
ETA = 0.14%
Lp (2.83V/1m) = 83.66 dB

GM
Old 25th December 2018, 09:36 AM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn
Old 25th December 2018, 09:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

wow, better than i thought....they did sound pretty damn good when cranked up. Always thought the sub was carrying the team on that one. I did buy them around the mid 2000's

43Hz sounds pretty low for something of that size. Albeit it referencing the satellite, this does look like it is more the sub as the enclosure size is massive as well as the surface area. being 2.5" i would have thought it was more 32cm2.

Cheers for this, definitely food for thought.
Old 25th December 2018, 11:22 AM   #5
krakatoa is offline krakatoa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi there - Tang Band W2-803SM, fullrange box suggestions? - a 2 inch unit in a TABAQ style enclosure, and video - YouTube
But the drivers you have there are made on a budget by the manufacturer and may not be nor hi fi nor suited for low frequencies (under 150 hz)... depends on the suspension, some satellite speakers do not have excursion and have a very high Fs - they just cant reproduce low notes, better test them in a simple enclosure (cardboard) with a vent to see if there is anything low coming from the vent. If they don't do excursion you are probably going to have a fancy enclosure for an impotent loudspeaker... overall a bad/modest sounding speaker = total lack of satisfaction; but do keep the enclosure, other drivers may do them justice.
Old 25th December 2018, 07:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakatoa View Post
Hi there - Tang Band W2-803SM, fullrange box suggestions? - a 2 inch unit in a TABAQ style enclosure, and video - YouTube
But the drivers you have there are made on a budget by the manufacturer and may not be nor hi fi nor suited for low frequencies (under 150 hz)... depends on the suspension, some satellite speakers do not have excursion and have a very high Fs - they just cant reproduce low notes, better test them in a simple enclosure (cardboard) with a vent to see if there is anything low coming from the vent. If they don't do excursion you are probably going to have a fancy enclosure for an impotent loudspeaker... overall a bad/modest sounding speaker = total lack of satisfaction; but do keep the enclosure, other drivers may do them justice.
I have thought this could be a pointless exercise and as this is more one is up cycling items around the house and wood working techniques, maybe I should pick a 2.5" driver online and base the design on them, so if it is a throw away exercise I can just buy them and substitute. Who knows to be honest, it feels like it would be 100% trial and error with no one sure where it will fall
Old 25th December 2018, 08:19 PM   #7
krakatoa is offline krakatoa  Romania
diyAudio Member

You can check whether the suspension is soft or not (you want soft for bass output) by pressing on it, it it moves easily you have a driver capable of reproducing some low frequencies; if it's stiff then you have a "tweeter". You can always design your enclosures around an existing driver with known parameters and built them - if the current free of charge pair doesn't work, no problem you just have to buy the ones you made the enclosures for.
YouTube - that suspension looks build for large excursion so looks good from what you can see from such vague sources of information... you would need some parameters to do the job properly.
By the way nothing is pointless as long as you do something new - because there is something to learn in something you never done before.
Old 25th December 2018, 10:54 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rutu5 View Post
Always thought the sub was carrying the team on that one. .........this does look like it is more the sub as the enclosure size is massive as well as the surface area.
Yeah, I wondered the same, but was too tired from another sleepless night to do any research beyond posting this link I have, but you're right, the 'dead giveaway' I missed is the 165.13 cm^2 Sd = 14.5 cm/5.71" eff. dia. = ~16.5 cm/6.5" or very large surround ~20.3 cm/8" driver size mentioned for the 'sub' woofer.

Anyway, you're '2 for 2' as these 'tiny' woofers are quite wide range, some with 5+ kHz usable BW and when one factors in that a driver is 'setting on the baffle' where it's beginning to beam at ~1 WL of its area = ~13560"_sec/[2.5"+ [2.5/2*0.613] = ~4152 Hz, it needs it to have an adequate XO overlapping BW; so odds are these will have a very high Fs [> ~125 Hz], which means not even any mid-bass output of use without EQ, i.e. optimized for vocals/speech-up BW, but pull the drivers and at least find its 'close enough' Fs to know for sure.

GM
Old 26th December 2018, 09:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakatoa View Post
You can check whether the suspension is soft or not (you want soft for bass output) by pressing on it, it it moves easily you have a driver capable of reproducing some low frequencies; if it's stiff then you have a "tweeter". You can always design your enclosures around an existing driver with known parameters and built them - if the current free of charge pair doesn't work, no problem you just have to buy the ones you made the enclosures for.
YouTube - that suspension looks build for large excursion so looks good from what you can see from such vague sources of information... you would need some parameters to do the job properly.
By the way nothing is pointless as long as you do something new - because there is something to learn in something you never done before.
wow, thanks for the video link, never thought i would see somebody willingly pull one apart Think i should test the sub as well, that thing is chunky and i may be able to repurpose it with a decent amp board or something.
Old 26th December 2018, 09:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Yeah, I wondered the same, but was too tired from another sleepless night to do any research beyond posting this link I have, but you're right, the 'dead giveaway' I missed is the 165.13 cm^2 Sd = 14.5 cm/5.71" eff. dia. = ~16.5 cm/6.5" or very large surround ~20.3 cm/8" driver size mentioned for the 'sub' woofer.

Anyway, you're '2 for 2' as these 'tiny' woofers are quite wide range, some with 5+ kHz usable BW and when one factors in that a driver is 'setting on the baffle' where it's beginning to beam at ~1 WL of its area = ~13560"_sec/[2.5"+ [2.5/2*0.613] = ~4152 Hz, it needs it to have an adequate XO overlapping BW; so odds are these will have a very high Fs [> ~125 Hz], which means not even any mid-bass output of use without EQ, i.e. optimized for vocals/speech-up BW, but pull the drivers and at least find its 'close enough' Fs to know for sure.

GM
all good information mate, much appreciated the search. It will be interesting to see how this works out after i finish my hifi cabinet (radiogram). i dont mind spending some time to build a small as possible enclosure that sounds alright....sounds like a challenge.

has anyone built a TLine or Horn using a 2.5in driver?Hide this!Advertise here!