Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tang Band W5-2143 Desktop Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2018, 08:48 PM   #1
JoeHollis is offline JoeHollis  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Tang Band W5-2143 Desktop Speakers

Hello,

I was given two of these speakers, and after getting Unibox, I entered all the numbers from the data sheet. The micro-particle (or less) of speaker knowledge I have is of course enough to make all manner of mistakes, so I would be most grateful for any guidance you may wish to offer. It's easy to enter numbers, but I don't have the knowledge to interpret the graphs shown for closed and vented designs, or know whether to increase or decrease the box size. Based on the graphs, is a sealed design better? I do not want to damage the speakers; they are for desktop use with my computer, using an older, small receiver.

Thank you for your assistance.

Joe H.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CB Response Tang Band W5-2143 5 Inch FR.gif (31.4 KB, 309 views)
File Type: gif VB Response Tang Band W5-2143 5 Inch FR.gif (34.6 KB, 306 views)
Old 16th December 2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

For desktop use I would use the sealed box.
If you were to implement a baffle step circuit you will probably end up with a nice pair of computer speakers.
I use a pair of these in Open Baffle @350hz and up, I really like them!
Old 16th December 2018, 11:14 PM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

This works well in a ported box too. I made an XKi with it using a slot vent, tuned for about 50Hz.
Old 16th December 2018, 11:18 PM   #4
JoeHollis is offline JoeHollis  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks, and one (or two) more questions. How do I determine what the optimal box volume is for a sealed design? Is where the blue line is being above the red line mean the speaker can/would be damaged? I might add a small subwoofer later on too...

Thanks, Joe
Old 17th December 2018, 11:51 PM   #5
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Joe,

For a sealed box, a lot of folks find a box size (Vb) that yields Qtc = .71 as the "optimum" size, but usually in the range of .60 to .80 gives an acceptable result. Check the resulting Fc and response curve.

Once you find the box sizes that give Qtc = .60 and .80, try those box values (Vb) for a ported box. And for port tuning frequency, try to keep Fb close to Fs (free air resonance). For example, this driver has Fs = 55 hz. Try Fb = 50, 55, and 60 Hz for the different values of Vb that you want to check out.

Run through some examples with your program (Unibox, for example). This should give you a good idea about how varying the box or port sizes will affect the response.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dave R; 18th December 2018 at 12:05 AM.
  Reply to this post

Tang Band W5-2143 Desktop SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!