Differences between Audio Nirvana's 8 inch drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. It's time for me to build new HiFi speakers and I have decided to go with Audio Nirvana drivers. I want the speakers to be bass-reflex for the sake of simplicity and they will be installed in a small 10m² room. They are going to be driven by the Ovation sx amplifier (class a 15w) and I am going to be sitting in front of them (6 ft away).
Can anyone please help me decide between the 3 different series of AN drivers (classic, super, super+)?:confused::confused:

Unfortunately I can't afford an AlNiCo driver so I have to stick with the ferrite ones. I have heard somewhere that the Super series is good for home theaters where the sound has to "spread" into the room and the classic series is more directional. I will be sitting in front of the speaker so I don't care if it is directional or not. Also, the classic series drivers have lower distortion according to common sense audio's website.
I have asked about the damping factor of the SX amp on the original amplifier's thread. Still waiting for an answer.

Look at the frequency response curves in the data sheets. Last time I looked, the Ferrite 8" was not that good in my view - some of them have droopy bass and some the treble seems more ragged than I'd like. And if you want bass reflex you need to look at box size which depends on the driver parameters.

I have their 15" Super Ferrite in an open backed box (large) and it sounds great. If I were to go smaller, I'd be looking at their 12" Super Ferrite.

am I the only person whose AN8's (ferrite) parameters have shifted with fs raising a half octave (and pulling along qts upwards with the shift) ?
Something in the suspension has stiffened over a few years. Also, my AN10 started with fs above factory spec and never went down.

FE206 likes Karlson loading and solid state amp output Z is fine. A stock K12 will work. BTW - I wish Fostex would make a 10" version of
their 206. Doubt if Fostex would make a funky suspension which stiffens (?)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.