give me some advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good morning, it's been a while since I've been interested in diy and I'm gaining experience. I would like to build the Pensil 7.3. I already have two pairs of speakers, Sonus Faber Electa and Tannoy LRMonitor. What do you think, I could be disappointed with this choice?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You might want to look at the dual driver Karlsonators - lots of happy builders. They have a a very natural wide presence and great musical quality. You might be amazed by the sound in fact. With a dual parallel TC9FD you will have 91dB sensitivity at 2.83v (4ohms) and with dual 3FE25-16, you will have nice sensitivity at 8ohms. These are mass loaded tapered quarter wave transmission lines with an acoustic lens. The K aperturenis the lens and it is what makes it sound wide and big.
713424d1541340610-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-4455893f-5082-46e7-9351-4eea6477ffda-jpg

Good morning, it's been a while since I've been interested in diy and I'm gaining experience. I would like to build the Pensil 7.3. I already have two pairs of speakers, Sonus Faber Electa and Tannoy LRMonitor. What do you think, I could be disappointed with this choice?

Both of those are bookshelf speakers.

Now, it seems you want to try a tower.

But... it would help to know what your goals are.

What do you plan to achieve with this build?
What do you think you can do better than what you have already?
What kind of music you will listen to most?
What's the environment you will put them in, etc...

Room and taste have as much to do as speaker design, when it comes to enjoying the music.

And a word of warning.... DIY audio can be addictive. :D

Thanks for the answers,
Karlsonators is very interesting I had understimated. 3 fe25 - 16 Is Faital Pro? The factory is 30 kilometers from my house. perceval you hit the mark, I do not know what to expect from this project. I'll probably discover it only after I've made it.

Having access to Faital's factory would be nice!

But, I asked what your goals were...
Most people are looking for something in a new build.

More bass is often cited.
More presentation.
More imaging.
More...

What's your "More"?
And how big is your room?

Pensils, TABAQs, FH3, Open Baffle, Horn, Line Arrays, etc...

All designs that would bring something to the table, but you need to know what you want to achieve with this build.

GM

Joined 2003
perceval you hit the mark, I do not know what to expect from this project. I'll probably discover it only after I've made it.

Based solely on this, build the largest proven DIY designed vented tower alignment [aka MLTL] or even BLH that you're willing to tolerate/afford in total materials, room space 'cost'. Anything less seems a waste of time/resources to my way of thinking.

If the Pensil 7.3 meets 'close enough' the 'tolerate/afford' criteria, then you could do a lot worse and doubtful much better overall.

GM

Thank you all,
probably my goal is to deepen the topic, learn new things and then make the speakers with my hands.
the room is average 6 x 8 meters, I prefer acoustic music, jazz, a little of everything at medium-low volume, I mainly look for a pleasant listening.
I had also considered the models of Woden Design,
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, san-serif]Maeshowe[/FONT] or
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, san-serif]Valiant[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, san-serif]but as a first realization perhaps it is too demanding. [/FONT]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.