Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reduce mouth resonance in horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2018, 11:25 AM   #41
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

this YouTube song (I use a CD) on my Klipschorns (despite the rather small K400) has that big - easy old school theater sound with lots of vibrancy in the singer's voice. In contrast with the 2nd Eminence B102 + Morel Cat37-8, the sound on the voice is dry -dull - (as if recorded in a dry - damped booth) - I want good exciting sound - not realism (if the latter really is representative - lol)
Old 20th December 2018, 03:06 PM   #42
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

The tweak bug has bitten again. I recently trashed the "plug" of polyfill in my horns. I had bought some 30 ppi foam but apparently it's too thick when entirely filling the horn...I miss the two upper octaves so removed it. I can re-add it in 1" depths. I "upgraded" from a ratty white towel to a black towel for two towel cowls. So now I'm experimenting to see (er, listen) if I actually can hear any differences.
“[G]enes are predicting that sweet taste in the mouth, and orgasm, are going to be ‘good’ in the sense that eating sugar and copulating are likely to be beneficial to gene survival. The possibilities of saccharine and masturbation are not anticipated…” Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene
Old 20th December 2018, 06:00 PM   #43
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, my Altec 511 horns have three different density, thickness foam throat inserts to flatten them out in lieu of using mass quantities of CD horn EQ, with one working best rolled up into a tube placed longitudinally across the abrupt conical throat to expo horn transition, i.e, once you move away from Dr. Geddes' whole horn insert the solution can get really complicated/long time to get right.

GM
Old 21st December 2018, 06:11 AM   #44
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
One could try magic trickery that Dave Gunnes has been doing, FIR filters. Basically when acoustic impedance changes in the horn some of the sound is reflected back to the compression driver. Reflected sound is counteracted (by FIR filters) in the compression driver effectively preventing them reflecting back to the horn and to the listener. The compression driver is made a towel by FIR filters, how cool is that

Never heard such system, and know almost nothing about it, but I think this would reduce "reverb" mentioned in the OP.

Temporal EQ (TQ™) | Fulcrum Acoustic
YouTube

Last edited by tmuikku; 21st December 2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 21st December 2018, 06:54 AM   #45
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, sometime in January I've been invited to a serious tweaking session of a horn loaded MTM stereo system where the latest DSP full tilt boogie processors will be the 'guests of honor', so health permitting I aim to become intimately familiar with these as they 'sound' too good to be true, so prepared to be disappointed. Looks good in theory though if I understand the basic concept.

GM
Old 10th January 2019, 01:54 PM   #46
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Minor tweakery, some yes, some no...

One advantage (?) of having made my "plug" from 1" thick sections is this: the full plug was too much attenuation, so I can try smaller ones (e.g. just 3" at throat). I also have some felt (probably synthetic) on hand, so I cut two equal rectangular pieces and have it placed along walls near throat. I can't tell any difference. With much music, however, I seem to be able to identify where the sound arrives from (the speakers). So I tried this next:

Since my 1" foam absorbs too much when used as a plug, why not try it to absorb along some of the horn's wall? I have two 15" circles cut, so I cut them in half and loose stuffed them in, so they fit between mouth (towel cowl) and perhaps half in, towards the throat. Of course, not full coverage, but...

I am quite sure that just this has improved imaging; I like it better with the latest foam treatment than without. Could this be something as simple (and non-HOM) as narrowing the HF dispersion? I can still see fully to the throat and CD with no obstruction, so it must be at most a narrowing of the 60 degree horn profile?
“[G]enes are predicting that sweet taste in the mouth, and orgasm, are going to be ‘good’ in the sense that eating sugar and copulating are likely to be beneficial to gene survival. The possibilities of saccharine and masturbation are not anticipated…” Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene
Old 19th September 2019, 09:51 AM   #47
papasteack is offline papasteack  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
Thanks for the link, their white papers are very intelligible.

Reduce mouth resonance in hornHide this!Advertise here!