TQWT with a Fostex FF165wk?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there guys,

I want to build this TWQT. However, as it seems quite difficult to find a pair of Fostex FE 166e, I was asking myself whether the new FF165wk might work here:

I have set myself on a TQWT sporting a 6" drivers due to WAF and space-related issues. Not a very original reason to come up with, I know. I'll be driving them with a 2a3 SE amp. I don't want them to end up stored in the attic next to all my previous building DIY-efforts, so that's why I'm asking you now.

Any suggestions, mods or alternatives very much welcome!

A winter project :deer:

Regards,

Vincula

GM

Joined 2003
Based solely on driver specs the cab is too small and unless the TQWT was over sized to account for a high output impedance amp, it's technically too small for either driver.

What's the amp's damping factor [DF]/series resistance does the amp have? Not much point doing a sim without it.

GM

Thanks for getting back, GM. Appreciated. I haven't got access to any other simulator than this one for TQWT's:

TQWT DESIGNER

The problem is that the Fostex' qts seems too low.

Maybe a bigger box, like in here?

Tapered Quarter Wave Tube

My 2a3 amp is a Loftin White/Shishido San, if that helps.

A different approach could be a FE 168EZ in a MLTL, like this:

http://www.rudyv.be/Electronique/MLTL/photo018.htm

I don't think the missus would agree on anything bigger than than. And it has to be a floorstander. He loathes stands.

As it'll go in my bedroom set-up, esthetics do mean a great deal. I've got one shot. Kids have already taken over the living room. Daddy has been defeated. I simply can't put up with listening to music only through headphones.

Any help is deeply appreciated:lifesavr::lifesavr:

Regards,

Vincula

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would not trust the veracity of that MQWT for any driver.

The FE166En is the close replacement for the FE166e. It and the FE168e∑ like to be in a horn and driven by a higher output impedance amplifier (like yours).

I prefer the FF165wk to either of these drivers (mind you almost all the drivers i listen to are tarted up). We have tried it in the larger Compact FloorStander Fonken165wk and in the Frugel-Horn XL. It excels in the FHXL. The FE166En and FE168e∑ also reportedly work in FHXL althou i expect a bit more work, and a bit more ripple to get bass out of them. FHXL has mechanisms for adjusting the amount of bass for driver/room/room placement/taste.

FHXL-blue-FF165wken.jpg

I expect the FF165wk will work in a properly designed ML-TL or ML-Voigt (ML-TQWT). I’d have to look in my drawings and notes to see if we have come up with any. There is a small Fonken Centre and a large Classic GOlden Ratio should be out soon.

dave

Thank you both for getting back.

The FHXL's a real beauty, but too deep in my bedroom. Other horns seem simply too big here, even though I admire many of 'em. The speakers must be placed against the wall or as close as possible. Something like a 25 x 20 x 95/100 cm or in that ballpark would be accepted. Otherwise... it'd turn into a new Sayonara Box.

Gonna have a look at that compact Fonken Floorstander, Chris. I love the vintage looks of the classic Golden Ratio box too, with its wide baffle, but stands are a no go here.

Regards,

Vincula

The compact floorstander that Dave posted in most recent photo is a pretty decent “compromise” - I’d certainly trust a bespoke design by Scott or Dave for any of the Fostex FF or Mark Audio drivers over something fudged from a totally different, and perhaps sub-optimally tuned.

The compact floorstander that Dave posted in most recent photo is a pretty decent “compromise” - I’d certainly trust a bespoke design by Scott or Dave for any of the Fostex FF or Mark Audio drivers over something fudged from a totally different, and perhaps sub-optimally tuned.

You almost read my thoughts, Chris. It must be "fate" :p

There are some drivers out there, like Supravox, that kinda turn me on based on looks and prejudices alone, but this time I just don't wanna mess around, so the word "compromise" doesn't sound bad too me for the first time in years. Getting old, I guess.

That floorstander ticks about all the boxes: easy to build, not expensive, high sensibility and easy to drive for my 3.5 W 2a3 beast, pretty and not very big.

Any plans somewhere? I seem to find only the ones for the FE127e on line...

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL :xmasman:

Regards,

Vincula

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The CFS Fonken165wk plans are part of the FF165wk paid planset.

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions

This planset is not the most filled out, with lots of work to do, but it does have the plans required. Do note that a subscription entitles the subscriber to have me do any plans still in limbo, often simply to accomodate a different material thickness

dave

The CFS Fonken165wk plans are part of the FF165wk paid planset.

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions

This planset is not the most filled out, with lots of work to do, but it does have the plans required. Do note that a subscription entitles the subscriber to have me do any plans still in limbo, often simply to accomodate a different material thickness

dave

Thanks a lot Dave. I've just sent you an email :)

Regards,

Vincula

Thanks for getting back, GM.

I don't think the missus would agree on anything bigger than than. And it has to be a floorstander. He loathes stands.

You're welcome!

Not really, lots of praise, even schematics, but no specs.

OK, using this MLTL's dims, assumed inside [i.d.], is about right for net volume [Vb] based on the SET having an average amount of series resistance for a 2A3, so locate the driver down ~22.26 cm, 38 cm^2 x ~1.9 cm baffle thickness vent down ~90 cm from top [i.d.] and damp to 'taste'. FWIW, HR suggests 0.153 Kg evenly distributed along its entire length.

Need a front/rear and side/side vertical board tie brace and a vertical one from top to bottom with a felt or similar lined notch to support/mass load the driver attached to these to tie all six sides together and coupled [mass loaded] to the driver to create a stable work platform to keep mechanical efficiency high.

Sand or similar in the bottom always sounds like a good plan, but in reality it needs to be at the top, so anything decorative that's heavy such as potted plants, marble, slate, etc., false top velcro'd on for easy removal when moving them around are the usual choices.

GM

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Not really, lots of praise, even schematics, but no specs.

OK, using this MLTL's dims, assumed inside [i.d.], is about right for net volume [Vb] based on the SET having an average amount of series resistance for a 2A3, so locate the driver down ~22.26 cm, 38 cm^2 x ~1.9 cm baffle thickness vent down ~90 cm from top [i.d.] and damp to 'taste'. FWIW, HR suggests 0.153 Kg evenly distributed along its entire length.

Need a front/rear and side/side vertical board tie brace and a vertical one from top to bottom with a felt or similar lined notch to support/mass load the driver attached to these to tie all six sides together and coupled [mass loaded] to the driver to create a stable work platform to keep mechanical efficiency high.

Sand or similar in the bottom always sounds like a good plan, but in reality it needs to be at the top, so anything decorative that's heavy such as potted plants, marble, slate, etc., false top velcro'd on for easy removal when moving them around are the usual choices.

GM

Thanks a lot, GM. Gonna try to draw your proposition.

Let's see if I get it right:)

Regards,

Vincula

Thanks for getting back, GM. Appreciated. I haven't got access to any other simulator than this one for TQWT's:

TQWT DESIGNER

As it'll go in my bedroom set-up, esthetics do mean a great deal. I've got one shot. Kids have already taken over the living room. Daddy has been defeated. I simply can't put up with listening to music only through headphones.

Regards,

Vincula

Sorry for my ignorance, but abmade.it TQWT Calculator shows a 201cm pipe for a driver with fs = 80 Hz, what means a 107cm 1/4 wave lenght. Is this measurement correct?

Also, how are Minor surface and Major surface areas calculated?

Tks and Rgds

TQWT DESIGNER

Regards,

Vincula

Also, HiFi Loudspeaker Design shows a linelenght of 106,8cm, that matches fs of 80Hz for a drive with sd=32cm2... But this calculator only shows a folded pipe box

Rgds

Dear GM,
Sorry for the previous confused question... So, I bought a pair of 3 inches Aiyima fullranges with aprox. 67mm diaphragm, Fs 80Hz and QTS 0.61 Audio Speaker - AIYIMA | 2Pcs 3Inch 4Ohm/8Ohm 15W | Full Range Speaker
When I inform these specs on the abmade.it calculator it shows a pipe design with 201 cm height, and inform a FC of 46Hz. Is it possible for a such small drive?
Also, I would like to know how top (6.6 cm width) and bottom (22.1 cm width) areas are calculated / defined.
Thank you very much, and hope I was a bit more clear now...
Rgds
Nilton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.