Where can I find some decently sized 4 inch speaker boxes to buy for cheap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where can I find some decent 4" inch size speaker boxes to buy for cheap?
I want them to have a bass port as well. if possible.
all the ones I find are sealed. or they come with speakers already in them. and I dont want speakers already in them as i already have two 4" speakers. I just need the boxes. where can I find just the boxes? amazon doesnt seem to have any speaker boxes designed for 4" wide speakers WITHOUT already including the speakers. because that costs more than my speakers already are. and it would be so much cheaper to just get the boxes without the speakers in them.

Because the boxes are designed for the drivers that are in them, not the other way around. If you don't know the TS parameters of your 4" drivers, then it's a shot in the dark that any existing boxes are going to work properly.

Try the thrift stores for some small vented speakers that have blow drivers.

jeff

If you would permit me to make a suggestion, if you're interested in learning how all this stuff works, try making cabinets out of card
board, white glue and tape. Use a small diameter PVC pipe (1.5 inch inside diameter should be about right. Build your boxes out of multiple layers of glued up cardboard, glue up the panels and chalk the inside edges and tape the outside edges to seal them up. Believe it or not, you'll learn a fair amount and it's actually quite fun.

Yep, xrk971's thread on foam core enclosures is a good one. You can do pretty well with a razor knife and a hot glue gun. Use a hack saw blade to cut the speaker hole if your razor knife won't do it. It's a long thread, but there are some really cool looking builds in there.

Either way, if you'll use a box with an appropriate internal volume for the speaker you're using it will be worth your while. If you can post any information on the speakers you have, it may enough to get you some specific suggestions on box size.

If a port is used, the port size should be based on a combination of factors like the speaker's natural resonant frequency, the internal volume of the box your using, the "springiness" of your speaker's suspension, the music you listen to, etc

Jeff's thrift store suggestion is a good one if you just want to buy something and take a chance on it working out. I've found some nice looking stuff in thrift stores.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Foam core can let you make more than just box speakers. Horns, back loaded horns, waveguides, transmission lines, bandpass reflex boxes, etc...

I remember a time whenever I walked through a store with goods that resemble containers (vases, jars, bowls, storage boxes, etc) I would look for a way to turn it into a speaker and what driver could be used. IKEA and Target are good resources. Not cheap though but the containers look nice. Another good resource are trimmings from 5in wide wood or engineered lumber floor panels.

I'm still looking for a 4 inch speaker enclosure/box. it can be sealed or ported. doesnt matter. as long as its cheap and can fit 4 inch speakers in it.
I cant find anything suitable on ebay. the closest one I could find costs 30$ which is seriously overpriced for a speakerbox. and i have no way to mount the speakers in pvc tubing.

I can't recall ever seeing any boxes like you want, much less for cheap except by browsing yard sales for 'cheap-to-free' speaker systems, 'curb queens' on garbage/recycling collection day and/or do 'dumpster diving' at lower income apartment complexes.

GM

I'm still looking for a 4 inch speaker enclosure/box. it can be sealed or ported. doesnt matter. as long as its cheap and can fit 4 inch speakers in it.
I cant find anything suitable on ebay. the closest one I could find costs 30$ which is seriously overpriced for a speakerbox. and i have no way to mount the speakers in pvc tubing.

You seem not to understand the problem here :
You need to calculate your enclosure FOR your drivers. So its useless just to buy some enclosures and find out, that they dont function with your drivers.
Which drivers do you use ? If you write this, perhaps someone can help you...

I just want them to be like boombox portable speakers. not a huge box thats hard to move around. they are just to make some noise.
so any box will do as long as its not way off.

they are scosche full range coaxial 4 inch speakers 4-way. so just cheap 20$ walmart speakers. I couldnt find any boxes for these size of speakers in the walmart store

Well they fit in my DUAL brand speaker cases which they both fit just perfectly. so I think they are standard (or whatever the most common) is.
but I dont want them in those. I want them in their own box to have seperately.
I dont have a hole saw big enough for cutting 4 inch holes.

Mobile audio drivers are designed for large, leaky boxes such as door, 'kick' panels, nothing like drivers designed for boomboxes, so for vented need to be huge unless stuffed to the max.

For your needs, a very lossy box would be a typical taped up cardboard shipping box from Amazon/wherever with just a hole to mount the driver using the screws/clips normally provided with the drivers and damp by adding polyfil or similar to 'taste', though note that if you use the fluffy pillow stuffing, then it needs to be encased in a cheesecloth or similar 'bag' to keep its fibers out of the driver. The leaking around the driver is normally sufficient to offset the acoustically tiny cab's inherent 'one note' 'boominess'.

If you need a bit of moisture proofing, then use/buy some plastic or treated cardboard food/whatever storage containers/boxes and spray the driver cones with one or more 'mist' coatings as required using the cheapest lacquer hairspray you can find.

GM

Go to a smoke shop. Ask the nice man if they have any large cigar boxes, typically around 6x6x8" or so, they are often cheap or free. On the way home, go to home depot or similar shop. See if they have an appropriate sized hole saw. Maybe ask if they have any open packages for discount. Once home, grab a pillow from your spare bedding that you don't care about.

Cut hole in each box. Do not cut a port.

Stuff the boxes with the contents of the pillow, as much as you can fit without it being rock solid.

Mount speakers.

You will now have a cheap set of speakers for the cost of the speakers and hole saw, and they might even sound embarrassingly good, if you're lucky.

You can actually get very good results this way if you use nicer drivers like the PA130, TC9FD, 3FE25, or similar, and the volume might even get you in a good range anyway :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.