Where can I find some decently sized 4 inch speaker boxes to buy for cheap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like you’re not likely to find boxes already built with cut-outs for your specific drivers. You’re going to have to build or adapt something. Either will require some more tools. I suggest starting with a variable speed drill and a hole saw to fit the drivers you have now.

I’ve had some fun building speakers from cigar boxes. Warning, it can be addictive! :)

Why cant I buy a premade 4" speaker box like the ones on amazon for 5.25" and 6.5" speakers? I cant seem to find any for 4" speakers. even though theres plenty for 12" and 5.25" and 6.5" speakers all over the place. even 6x9 speaker boxes. but not a single one for 4" speakers.

There might be a lot of reasons why. My guess is that there is such a variety of different 4" speakers -- which all have different performance and dimensional characteristics. From my experience, one box size won't fit every 4" speaker.

For example, here is a link to the 4" speakers that are carried by one (of many) on-line suppliers. Different cutout sizes, different attach point patterns and spacings, and different magnet sizes which will displace different amounts.
midwoofer 4" - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

The reason I chose this particular supplier is because they also have a woofer selection guide.
Resources - Woofer Selection Guide

I can't get the "sort" feature to work, but if you look in the sealed box column to the right, you'll see different sizes for the different 4" speakers in the list.

I'm thinking the only place you might find some speaker boxes would be at a 2nd hand store, or goodwill, etc, or possibly Craigslist or similar. Otherwise, you may have a friend who can cut a small box for you with the right size hole in it for the speaker you have. As you suggest, you can probably get something that makes noise.

Hope this helps.

You aren't likely to find something tailor made for the particular speakers you have with making something yourself, or finding someone to do so for you. The speakers you have aren't meant for this use, so there isn't anything out there for them. They are meant to be installed in automotive applications, inside doors, kickpanels, etc. You see boxes for larger size speakers mainly because they happen to be historically the most commonly used sizes in OEM applications, and are kinda-sorta the standard sizes for retrofits... This is why you see boxes available for them versus smaller sized drivers. Smaller drivers tend to have inadequate bass response in comparison, and are nowhere near as popular.

I hate to say it, but unless you are willing to buy some tools to modify/build something, you've hit a dead end. There isn't really any other feasible option.

Where are you located? Someone may be nearby and willing to help you out. There are a ton of helpful people in the DIYaudio community that may be close enough to you.

Last edited:
I have a drill and hole saws. but no hole saws that are very big. biggest one is like 2 and a half inches. maybe less idk.
I dont want a crappy hole saw. I want one of those fancy carbide tipped ones that drill really fast like butter.
but i'll only be able to but one since they can be pretty expensive for a whole set (over 100$)
and I really want to keep the price down below 50$ at most!

Here's something you might find at a Target store in your area. All you need is a way to cut and drill some holes in the lid. (and maybe some glue or caulking to seal it when done)
https://www.target.com/p/hand-made-modern-wood-jewelry-box/-/A-50280907

You might also check home improvement or garden centers for planter boxes, etc.

Google is your friend. try "wooden box" + "lid", or other key words.

realflow100,

If you need help in cutting holes and cabinet building, perhaps you can locate some local woodworkers/cabinet builders in your area. Also consider fellow DIY woodworkers who can lend a hand. Local kitchen counter builders are the business of cutting holes so they have the tools to do the job.

Of course the Swiss Army knife tool for hole cutting isn't a saw but a router with a circle cutting jig. You can use the router for other useful tasks such as flush mounting speaker driver flanges and rounding over cabinet edges.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago, I worked with some high school students. Their project assignment was to build a speaker using non-traditional enclosures. Woofers, tweeters, and some midranges were provided, and they had to find something to mount them in/on. They were discouraged from using rectangular boxes. (in fact, extra points for Creative ways for being outside the box) ;)

Many of them came back from Goodwill and second-hand stores with various household items to house their drivers. We had "Buckets-O-Bass", "chillin by the Cooler", and "Globe" speakers, among others. A fun way to learn.

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 178
  • cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 183
  • globe.jpg
    globe.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 180
now you just have to hope that the cutout size will match your drivers and not be problematic with mounting screws.
any dimensions? box volume could affect low end tuning but if buying is your only option i guess what you get is something you have live with.

Buried in the eBay link is the following:

Material thickness: 1/2”
Cutout dia: 3-3/4”
Mounting depth: 2-1/4”
Overall size: 5-5/8” L x 5-3/4” W x 3-1/8” D

So, that would translate to internal volume of roughly 46 cu in (.76 L). Not much to work with for a 4” driver but hey, that’s what they are. Will probably need lots of stuffing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.