Help & Advice Needed Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

I need some help please.

My current set up is:
Thorens TD 295 Mk4 turntable
Google Chromecast Audio (I know, but its easy to stream music)
Custom tube phono stage based on 12AX7/ECC83 tubes feeding into a tube pre-amp based on 12AX7/ECC83 tubes feeding into 2 x Antique Sound Lab AV8 (ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB). These are rated at 8w max.

The room is 4.2m wide, 4.7m deep with 2.4m high ceilings. The listening position is 3m from the front wall. So not the ideal shape. Bass can be a excessive but not boomy.

I think that my weakest link are my current muti-way speakers which are Highland audio ORAN 4305 (Highland Audio Oran 4305)

My music tastes are reasonably varied. I enjoy jazz, with female vocal being my main listening genre, however I do listen to some funk, classic rock (Bowie, Pink Floyd) etc.

I am looking to see if a FR solution would work best, especially as my current speakers are rated at 87db sensitivity.

I would also be interested in a WAW solution if deemed the better solution.

I am happy to pay for plans and am traveling to the UK over xmas/new year so picking up drivers would be easy and I could pre-order so they are waiting for me when I get there.

Thank you for your assistance.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 135

GM

Joined 2003
For starters, ditch the flat panel diffusor [coffee table] or at least cover it with a thick quilt and try the LP [your ears at the sofa] at ~2.82 & 3.76 m as there maybe some subjective improvement along with the aforementioned toeing in up to whatever angle crosses their axis at your ears to out as much as a 0.3-0.5 m in front of your face at all these distances before messing with any components, etc., especially when wanting to upgrade speakers since the room's acoustics, system location dominates.

GM

Thank you all for your replies.

I do have double thickness curtains across the glass doors, and some wall treatments on the left hand wall to try and tame reflections, unfortunately my wife is not too keen on proper treatments. I have been toying with something like the attached, but until I can measure the room correctly feel this is a waste of time and money.

To be honest, I am looking for an excuse to buy some new drivers :D

Dave, with the 11ms, what would be the preferred cabinet design?

Attachments

• wood panels.jpg
    wood panels.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 100
Tim, re the A11MS - if your trip to the UK permits, you might want to arrange a visit with these gentlemen https://www.kjfaudio.com.
They are among other things the UK distributors for Mark Audio drivers, as well as of flat pack kits of several wideband driver enclosures with which I’m familiar enough to be comfortable in suggesting consideration - specifically the FrugelHorn family ( three models, depending on choice of size of driver ), and the Pensils. I’m sure that given sufficient notice, they could facilitate a proper demonstration that could help in selection - or elimination - of choices.

Between the two, I’d always recommend the FHs if room and domestic engineer acceptance factor permit. In my own situation WAF dominates even more than the rooms’ acoustic considerations.

Tim, re the A11MS - if your trip to the UK permits, you might want to arrange a visit with these gentlemen https://www.kjfaudio.com.
They are among other things the UK distributors for Mark Audio drivers, as well as of flat pack kits of several wideband driver enclosures with which I’m familiar enough to be comfortable in suggesting consideration - specifically the FrugelHorn family ( three models, depending on choice of size of driver ), and the Pensils. I’m sure that given sufficient notice, they could facilitate a proper demonstration that could help in selection - or elimination - of choices.

Between the two, I’d always recommend the FHs if room and domestic engineer acceptance factor permit. In my own situation WAF dominates even more than the rooms’ acoustic considerations.

Thanks Chris.

I see they are only a 2 hour drive from my parents.

I will make conract to see when they would be available during that period.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What Chris said…

We have the A11ms in a variation of the tallish Woden ML-TL (nameless ATM), i have a set of FHXL downstairs with P11 that they should pop into seamlessly, but i was doing a demo and swapped in the A7.3eN/A12pWeN MTM WAW and nothing has moved since.

708737d1539247423-15th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2018-a-a11ms-woden-mltl-jpg

FRs have limits that come along with the assets that means many are happy to live with the limitations. A WAW can eliminate most of them without sacrificing what a FR brings to the table (due to removal of the heavy loading in the bass they can actiually bring even more.

The new A7ms looks like it may be even better than the A11ms, i’d consider it, put it in FH3 and then if you find they do not go low enuff or loud enuff, turn it into a WAW by adding helper woofers — either stealth woofers to go with the FH3 or a whole new design.

dave

Thanks Chris. I have made contact with Stefan who has advised that they have sold their last pair of 11MS, but are more than happy to run an audition.

What Chris said…

The new A7ms looks like it may be even better than the A11ms, i’d consider it, put it in FH3 and then if you find they do not go low enuff or loud enuff, turn it into a WAW by adding helper woofers — either stealth woofers to go with the FH3 or a whole new design.

dave

I have a feeling that the FHXL's may be a little large for my room, so the FH3 with 7MS may be the right option.

At least I will be able to take a listen to the various options and make an informed decision.

Thank you to all that have replied with suggestions :D

I would definitely suggest a FR driver with two helper woofers straight off the bat. This will give the FR driver more dynamic range and stress it less. You will also have a lot more freedom to manipulate the the set up and position the bass units in better suited parts of the room.

A DSP would be an awesome help as well.

This is how I have done it for my Alpair 6M, Alpair 7MS, recently redesigned Faital Pro 3FE25 (which are insanely good value for money) and I plan to experiment with more FRs and multi-way speakers in the future.

Keep it flexible is my view.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.