Rullit full-range FC/ Open Baffle/ Wall Issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I acquired a pair of the Rullit LAB8 field coils. I cobbled together a quick open baffle out of MDF in the garage and got them mounted and fired up.. wow what a sound! An ideal world they might need a woofer and a supertweeter to just slightly augment what they are doing, but lots and lots of promise.

The issue, however, is room placement. It's really hard to get the speakers more than about 2ft off the back wall. And when I have the open baffle that close, the magic is lost.

So.. any suggestions? I did some googling, and I see there are variants on open baffle.. is there an open baffle design that is more happy a bit closer to the wall? Baffle size, side panels, etc. Or would a larger sealed or open enclosure be a better route? Onken baffle? The Decware Zen design?

I really like these drivers, but I want a better gameplan before I commit to a "real" build.

I have the same problem.

You have to add some dampening behind your OB, or on the wall behind.

I have a combination of rockwool for the bass woofer, and some foam crate for the FR driver.
It tames the reflections that are too close in terms of time, but not taking them out completely.

It's not perfect, but it helps keeping the feel of OB when you need to put them less than 1.5m from the walls.

Thank you everyone.. its sort of what I figured with the reflections and dampening.

Perceval, do you have any pictures of where you placed the dampening?

I wonder if a creative "pseudo" open baffle would work, where there is a back panel that is angled and dampened.

Thank you everyone.. its sort of what I figured with the reflections and dampening.

Perceval, do you have any pictures of where you placed the dampening?

I wonder if a creative "pseudo" open baffle would work, where there is a back panel that is angled and dampened.

My room and yours will differ.

Put dampening behind your OBs. The thickness and density will vary according to the frequencies that are troublesome. Then , vary the distance between them to find the best balance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.