Best 8" full range driver for sealed box of ~1.7 cu ft (50 Lt)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Best 8" or 6.5" full range driver for sealed box

Goal is to build a small floor stander with a single 8" full range driver that will cover perhaps <100hz to 20k -- I will have subwoofers to cover the sub-100hz region, but don't want the subwoofers to work above 100hz. Over 100hz, I only want one driver with no crossover. It would be nice if the 8" can do 50hz, so that I can cross subwoofers lower, but it is not required.

Volume of the box is around 1.6 to 1.8 cu ft, and the box is going to be sealed (my preference here). I know that Seas X1 F8 appears to be good for this implementation, but it is too expensive. Anything more affordable options that may just be as good? Thank you!

Last edited:
The resistriction of a sealed cabinet sort of rules out the Dayton if you want any bass.

I have not modeled the more expensive SEAS so cannot comment on its performance in a sealed box.

Personally, with helper woofers, i’d be looking at something smaller than 8”.

dave

Got it, and good suggestion as well. I do hope to get bass from the full range to at least below 100hz, so that I can avoid directional issues with subwoofer placement.

Alternatively, I can do 6.5". The box is sealed as well, and volume is about 0.58 cu ft. (don't ask me how I am fixated on sealed boxes with specific volumes).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
so that I can avoid directional issues with subwoofer placement

One subwoofer is always a compromise… and woofers you would typically use for just one often do not have the HF extension needed for a good blend to a FR.

I have done what you are describing, but with a 3” (a pair of uFonkenSET) + a pair of push-push twin SDX10 woofers (they have exceptional HF extention for a subwoofer).

dave

One subwoofer is always a compromise… and woofers you would typically use for just one often do not have the HF extension needed for a good blend to a FR.

I have done what you are describing, but with a 3” (a pair of uFonkenSET) + a pair of push-push twin SDX10 woofers (they have exceptional HF extention for a subwoofer).

dave

I know. I actually have a two-sub set up, a 15" and a fast 12", both in sealed boxes. But I only have one dedicated subwoofer amp (with crossover/phase adj/etc.). So it's going to be mono.

I am leaning towards Tang Band W6-2166 now, using a smaller sealed box, reaching ~90hz.

I know. I actually have a two-sub set up, a 15" and a fast 12", both in sealed boxes. But I only have one dedicated subwoofer amp (with crossover/phase adj/etc.). So it's going to be mono.

I am leaning towards Tang Band W6-2166 now, using a smaller sealed box, reaching ~90hz.

TB W6-2144 has a whizzer. You might want to check out some reviews of it on Parts Express.

Looking at Alpair 10.3 now, still in a sealed box configuration. I think, given all the comments, it's between Markaudio and the 7" Seas.

Btw, the 7" Seas implementation doc suggest a BSC. Looking at 10.3's chart, I feel like a BSC may help as well (I like slightly mellower sound). Any suggestions as to whether this is a good idea and if so specific values? Thanks!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SEAS FA22

FA22-calinda-enclosure.jpg

Simply a set of KEF Calinda boxes with a new plywood baffle.

dave

Any view on Alpair 10P vs. FA22 in a large sealed box? Any how about 12P? All seem to be very musical drivers, but I have not been able to find a direct comparison. Looking for the most coherent and musical reproduction, and only need bass extension to below 100hz, as I have subwoofers.

Dave, based on a previous picture you showed, it appears that 10P in a 14.36 liter box has a an F3 of 74.5hz, which I think is easier to implement than Seas' larger box. But my main concern is quality -- whether Alpair can perform at the same level musically as the Seas, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.