New home for old jordan JX92S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

Several months ago I upgraded to some eikona2's in some existing backloaded horns that I had built a while ago for some JX92S. That left me with an orphaned pair of perfectly functional JX92S to do something with. I've often thought of building the VTLs because I liked their form factor, but hearing that it might somewhat compromised compared to more modern designs I never did. Bruce Pea at Ars Harmonia was kind enough to share a new MLTL design with the same form factor at the VTLs designed by Paul Kittinger for the Eikona2's. Since the T&S parameters were pretty close I decided to make a pair, I'll still need to play with the port length and BSC filter to voice them to my taste, but since I'm nearing completion I thought I'd post a few pics of my build so far. I used 3/4" birch plywood faced with cherry veneer, side cheeks are 3/4" cherry. finish is natural, just a few coats of linseed oil to bring out the grain, with poly on top for protection. It should darken up over time to a nice rich deep brown. I'll post back with my listening impressions when I'm done, I'm really interested how these will compare to a backloaded horn.

Paul

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Picture6.jpg
    Picture6.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 105
Well I finally finished voicing these speakers. I found I had them overstuffed luckily I had that removable back. Settled in on an appropriate BSC filter. I am very pleased with this enclosure it sounds really great, plenty of low end without a gigantic enclosure. Here is a pic compared to the horn, much more WAF with the MLTL. The horn does sound bigger and the bass is deeper and more resolute, but the MLTL comes pretty close. And this time in a side by side comparison I still felt that the Eikona2 sounds better than the JX92S. Just cleaner and more liquid. That being said the old JX is no slouch and still sounds very impressive in the MLTL.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 53
The only thing I've heard like that is from a simulation Planet 10 posts, I've not heard it from anyone who's listened to them or from any actual measurements. I have a pair and I can tell you that the frequency response is nothing like as screwy as the sim that Plant 10 loves to post repeatedly ;):)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.