Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parallel Ciare CH-250 8 OHM Version OB
Parallel Ciare CH-250 8 OHM Version OB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2018, 03:00 AM   #1
Gungnir is offline Gungnir  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Parallel Ciare CH-250 8 OHM Version OB

So, I aquired two pairs of Ciare CH-250 from the Bay a while back. These are an 8ohm version that is not listed on the Ciare website. I did check and they are not the PH-250. So, since I have four of these I plan on putting a pair of each in parallel on a JE Labs style open baffle and power them with my 45 amp.

Any thoughts on how well this would work with a flea watt amp?

I am eventually going to order a pair of Eminence 15a woofers if I like the OB sound. Hell, I could order four and parallel those with the parallel CH250s with a passive series connected crossover

I was previously going to use a JBL 2155H 15" coaxial driver for the OB, but decided against it due to the lowish QTS and I didnt want to waste a $50 sheet of plywood.
Old 31st October 2018, 03:38 AM   #2
talaerts is offline talaerts  Belgium
diyAudio Member

German speaker diy magazine Hobby Hifi had a splendid looking OB with it in their 3/2006 issue.

Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente

My own magazine is in storage in another country so I can’t send you the dimensions or, more interestingly, the correction filter configuration but worth trying to find.
Old 31st October 2018, 03:56 AM   #3
talaerts is offline talaerts  Belgium
diyAudio Member

And they later published a Dacapo tower and sattelite with the driver. All interesting.
You could envision OBs in front and satellites in rear...

Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente
Old 4th November 2018, 01:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Wow, these sound soooooo good, I mean seriously! I don't know why people complain about bass from open baffle, I love the bass! My 45 amp has no problem driving these to decent volume!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181103_172459.jpg (700.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 7th November 2018, 06:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

So, I'm loving the sound of these, but want to take it to another level. I would like to build another set of OB, but this time use 2 15a woofers in parallel and 2 ch250s in parallel per channel, but not sure how to connect both to reflect 4-8 ohms. Could I series connect the two pairs with a low pass on the woofers for an 8 ohm load? I want to parallel the drivers to further increase sensitivity for my flea watt amps.

Also, I don't care how large the baffles will be
Old 7th November 2018, 08:09 AM   #6
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Since you will need a crossover, you just have to worry about the two bass woofer's impedance, and the two Clare impedance separately.

So, if you get 4 ohms on the Clare, then, get two 8 ohms woofer's and wire them to 4 ohms as well.

Total system will still be 4 ohms, with variations according to XO.
Old 13th November 2018, 04:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Since you will need a crossover, you just have to worry about the two bass woofer's impedance, and the two Clare impedance separately.

So, if you get 4 ohms on the Clare, then, get two 8 ohms woofer's and wire them to 4 ohms as well.

Total system will still be 4 ohm, with variations according to XO.
But wouldn't the amplifier see them in parallel?
Old 13th November 2018, 04:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I would have to wire each set of speakers in series//parallel? I need to do some more research on speaker crossovers. I will probably just use the crossover shown in MJK papers.

Last edited by Gungnir; 13th November 2018 at 04:30 PM.

Parallel Ciare CH-250 8 OHM Version OBHide this!Advertise here!