Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advice on choosing the best 8 inch fullrange drivers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2018, 11:48 AM   #111
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattes View Post
youŽll never have a large listening zone with an 8-inch fullrange
Remember, with a whizzer cone the dispersion is not limited by the size of the main cone. I know... semantics...it's more akin to a coaxial two-way. However, with a good whizzer beaming may be a non-issue altogether. I haven't heard the AN 8" but the AN 15" I have has excellent treble dispersion.

I've also experienced relatively good dispersion from the Alpair 10.3 driver which has no whizzer. I think the detailed design of the driver has a lot to say about the end result.

As said already, low or high treble dispersion is by itself not a problem, it depends on your goals, room, speaker positioning etc. In general, I read that most people find beaming undesirable because of the large difference in dispersion across the audio frequency range creates a less authentic sound field. The only experience I've had with this issue was listening to some panel speakers, those electrostatic jobs. The treble was so directional that it would sound odd if during a listening session you simply stood up and found uour ears in a zone without the treble and all the 'air' disappeared. I would not be happy with that.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 15th November 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 15th November 2018, 03:56 PM   #112
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Beaming is very easy to calculate. Divide 13,512 by the speaker’s actual cone diameter in inches to get the frequency at which beaming begins. From that point dispersion continues to narrow as frequency increases.
That, i beleive, is for an idealized flat piston. When talking FRs they act like a piston below some frequency and become chaotic above that, the bestter the FR the more controled that chaos is. The dispersion of a FR has a lot to do with its shape.

dave
Old 21st May 2019, 09:55 AM   #113
Blok15 is offline Blok15  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody,

i was reading this post and it is a late reaction but if you have interest in a very good 8 inch fullrange look at Sonido from Hungaria...
I have the Sonido SFR-200a whit Alnico magnet in a big back loaded horn and i love it very much!
They are very affordable and worth every penny!
Before these i had the Alpair 12.2 wich was very good, the Cube Audio FA8 and now the Sonido, at 1/4 of the price of the Cube i can only take my hat of!

Regards Rudi
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:24 AM   #114
mayhem13 is offline mayhem13  United States
diyAudio Member

Before anyone goes down the road of DIY with large fullrange drivers, they owe it to themselves to take a listen to the new Magnepan LSR for $650 a pair. Of course not everyone has the room for such a large speaker but I tell ya, I haven’t heard anything nearly as good at 10x the price. The coherence is simply outstanding......a large panel that behaves like a huge pointsource.......incredible for the money.
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:03 PM   #115
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Rudi, could you please share the info on the horn you have? I have the same drivers, now on small OBs, and I am still undecided which horn to go for. I like the looks of AION, but there are other options.
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:33 PM   #116
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the SEAS 8 inch full range drivers in 2.8 cubic foot bar cabinets for the last 5 years in my listening room .
I could listen to them happily all day long .
The filter suggested by SEAS is installed in the cabinets and resistor coil values have been adjusted 3 times so far . They have 2 different circuits you can use .
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:35 PM   #117
Mrshazbot is offline Mrshazbot  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blok15 View Post
Hi everybody,

i was reading this post and it is a late reaction but if you have interest in a very good 8 inch fullrange look at Sonido from Hungaria...
I have the Sonido SFR-200a whit Alnico magnet in a big back loaded horn and i love it very much!
They are very affordable and worth every penny!
Before these i had the Alpair 12.2 wich was very good, the Cube Audio FA8 and now the Sonido, at 1/4 of the price of the Cube i can only take my hat of!

Regards Rudi
Curious if you used on of their DIY designs to build the cabinet?
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:09 PM   #118
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
Before anyone goes down the road of DIY with large fullrange drivers, they owe it to themselves to take a listen to the new Magnepan LSR for $650 a pair. Of course not everyone has the room for such a large speaker but I tell ya, I haven’t heard anything nearly as good at 10x the price. The coherence is simply outstanding......a large panel that behaves like a huge pointsource.......incredible for the money.
My only listening experience of that type of speaker was 4 huge Quads, stacked 2x2. While the sound was really impressive, there was almost no soundstage. Just two walls of the same sound left and right. I prefer the sound of my dual driver 0.53 Karlsonators, although they seriously lack bass.
Old 23rd May 2019, 05:47 PM   #119
mayhem13 is offline mayhem13  United States
diyAudio Member

The Maggie’s when placed 3ft from the walls certainly doesn’t lack ANY soundstage...... you gotta hear em once they’re in the wild!

Advice on choosing the best 8 inch fullrange drivers?Hide this!Advertise here!