Making a Square Tractrix Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine has asked for some advice about making a large (3 foot square mouth) tractrix horn. He wants to make it out of four pieces of thin ply, joined edge to edge. It will then be strengthened. His problem is how to draw the curve of each edge.

I cannot get my head round how to create that curve. Any suggestions?

Thank you for all your replies. A lot of those shown are not 4 curved sides, but 2 curved sides and 2 flat sides. The tractrix curve is easy to get and works for a circular cross section. It is realising the curve along the edges of the four pieces to create a square tractrix that I am flumoxxed by.

Yes, that BD-Design is a square tractrix horn.

I now see your problem. You want a template for the shape of each of the four pieces of plywood which, when bent, will meet along the edges to form the tractrix horn flare.

I haven't done this, but there are members out there who must have done. Help anyone?!

That certainly looks like what my friend wants. The crucial line is where bd says
"The outcome is valid for a circular horn, but simply to transfer to a square model."
That I do not get. I have suggested to my friend that he tries contacting bd, to find out what he did.

The problem is if you draw the four pieces with a tractrix curve for their edges, when you join them together you do not have a tractrix expansion in the horn.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There are advantages to a linear expansion on two of the walls. The area expansion is still a tractrix, so you have the benefits of superb efficiency and impedance matching between the driver and the air column. On the linear expansion axis, the polar dispersion is more well controlled and directed. The tractrix curve basically expands out to 180deg. If you make all 4 walls curved, I am not sure it will give any performance benefit other than to look symmetric aesthetically.

Interesting history to this. My friend's friend has a pair of original Voigt full wave tractrix horns!! (Which have a 4 feet square mouth)
He would like a smaller version of same. The thought is that Voigt must have worked out how to do this (assuming the originals are accurate tractrixes)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If he has the horn on hand, easiest thing to do is take a larger sheet of paper and lay it into the contour of the horn petal and trace the intersection. Then take that and go to reprographics (blueprints) store and reduce to scale. Scaling tractrix works very well.

You can also take a photo of resulting 2d trace plan with low distortion camera lens from above. A 50mm or (normal perspective lens) is best. Take image and use CAD program to overlay a spline on the curve. Then you can scale arbitrarily and even check to see if 4 of them glued at intersection forms a good horn. Probably best to make two panels extra big so that two panels can join in a “T”.

The theory of extracting a curved panel 4-petal horn from a tractrix expansion is some math that could also be done. If you are handy with theory, that could also be a very good way to go.

If he has the horn on hand, easiest thing to do is take a larger sheet of paper and lay it into the contour of the horn petal and trace the intersection. Then take that and go to reprographics (blueprints) store and reduce to scale. Scaling tractrix works very well.

You can also take a photo of resulting 2d trace plan with low distortion camera lens from above. A 50mm or (normal perspective lens) is best. Take image and use CAD program to overlay a spline on the curve. Then you can scale arbitrarily and even check to see if 4 of them glued at intersection forms a good horn. Probably best to make two panels extra big so that two panels can join in a “T”.

The theory of extracting a curved panel 4-petal horn from a tractrix expansion is some math that could also be done. If you are handy with theory, that could also be a very good way to go.

An aspect of the scaling is that presumably the mouth of the horn would be reduced by 3/4. Might this be a problem in that the same drive unit as the 4 foot horn would be used?(Voigt field coil, or it's derivative Lowther PMx)

I have to say that the maths is way beyond me or my friend.

You don't have to be handy with theory - this functionality is built into Hornresp.

Simulate a tractrix horn of the size you want

Export Horn Data

Choose "Petal Horn" option

Choose 4 in "Petals or Sides" dropdown

Thank you for that Hollowboy. I have sent your response to my friend.

Happy to help. Note that I agree with the other stuff xrk was saying, notably the stuff in post 11.

Something like this
Check out my new horns!
...doesn't look that far from symmetric, but will measure a little better on-axis.

Maybe not a huge improvement overall, but I like improvements that you can get for free. Me, I'd also make the throat a little off symmetric - e.g. a 9cm high x 5 cm wide throat for a driver that has a 10cm diameter.

He wants to make it out of four pieces of thin ply, joined edge to edge. It will then be strengthened.

Dunno if you / they have already seen this link, 'tis a great visual guide.

doityourselfaudio: 140Hz Petal Horns

Thanks for all your help. I am not sure from a purist point of view that the 2 flat sides model gives a true tractrix. The tractrix expands out to 180 degrees, which cannot be realised with flat sides.
The drivers that will be used were used for the Voigt corner horn. That had a constricted throat, and for some reason this got rid of the peaks in the driver "in the raw". I have heard the Voigt Domestic Corner Horn with Lowther PM6a drivers and the shout and shriek that one associates with those drivers was wholly absent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.