University 312-200, What Enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am new to full range speakers, have purchased a pair of vintage University 312-200 drivers and I am trying to determine appropriate enclosures to put them in... They are 12" diffaxial. I am open to reconfiguring existing cabinets or purchasing an appropriate flat-pack. I can not build from scratch this time of year where I live, I would have to be outside and the weather is inappropriate. The drivers are like these;
University 312 Series 200 Drivers Photo #999419 - US Audio Mart

My room is 16' x 20' with 8' ceiling, amplifier is 12 wpc, el84 tubes. This is to be used for listening to vocalists, folk, easy listening. I am not too concerned about bass, I have a 300 wpc ss system and matching speakers when I want to listen loud and dynamic... I am trying to find the best (to my ears) playback of vocalists. Many people suggest low-wattage tubes and full-range speakers are the way to do it, I am trying to find out for myself.
I am wondering if I can get good sound by modifying speaker cabinets purchased via Craigslist near me. Perhaps something like Wharfedale Rosedale cabinets;
Wharfedale W70 . Rosedales Photo #862411 - US Audio Mart

If a kit of precut pieces exists, I would appreciate learning about it.

Perhaps in the future I will try placing these in an open baffle array. I don't think my current listening room is setup correctly, a room I share with my wife.
Sorry for the novice questions, I am trying to read as much as I can about full-range speakers. The concept of single-driver speakers is new to me as is the diy approach on audio equipment... I am late getting to the party. However, I certainly agree with the diy philosophy

Thanks

Get the T/S parameters measured… or dig some up (althou given age, the drift on yours could well be different).

dave

Thanks Dave... I recently inquired at a nearby loudspeaker repair store about their thoughts regarding appropriate enclosures for these drivers. They also suggested measuring the T/S parameters and mentioned it was a service they could provide... That will be my next step.

Ezd

-- imagine open baffle would be one practical solution as qts is probably pretty high. I've destroyed one of its cousins attempting to play percussion music. (tiny voice coil) hopefully these with "Sphericon" tweeter will sound good on vocals - I remember mine with the rectangular gold color "reciprocating flare - cobra" horn sounding good on Mario del Monaco.

a too choked size box can/will have a higher Lf cutoff than an open baffle and baffles are easy to make as just a board with a hole :)

This was a big help, thank you very much...

Thanks to all for the replies, it seems the more I learn about speakers, the more I appreciate how much science and design goes into creating an enjoyable pair.
I bought two pairs of older speaker cabinets near me, a very nice condition pair of Wharfedale Rosedale and a pair of Barzilay cabinets also in good condition. I am going to start by putting the University drivers into the Barzilay cabinets, using the guideline cabinet design posted by GM. I may put them into the Wharfedale cabinets at some point.

I am gaining some points from my wife on this project, because the furniture grade, vintage cabinets appeal to her sense of design.

The attached pictures are not the actual speakers but they look the same... I have to replace the grill covers on the pair of Barzilay cabinets and I would appreciate any thoughts on building new ones. I am not concerned about keeping the original appearance.

Thanks,
Ezd

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...OD_KTHbX-C0/s640/blogger-image-1340945055.jpg

http://www.wjaudio.co.kr/wjaudiocokr/down/item/wharfedale_rosedale_a.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.