Best speaker design for living room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is a large room… 390m3. My room is about 240m3 with much the same 24 x 24 footprint so i can at least come close to giving real world experience.

If you want real bass you will need helper woofers/subwoofers if you want serious bass. But i happily use FRs in my room and am very happy.

Whether you will be happy will depend on how loud you want to play.

Where will the speakers be put in the room? And is anything above 8-10’ in the space occupied?

I like the idea of Scott’s for an EPI inspired omni tower. I speculated about just such a beast based on the Woden Sea Stack ML-TL. 16x16” (inside) by however tall they are (about 5’). 8 Alpair 11ms should be fair adequate.

dave

My current sig line notwithstanding, the need to comment here is overwhelming
As the space described is larger than some small live music venues I've attended, I think kec's suggestion of (perhaps multiple) line array(s) with bass support is not at all out of line. As for the cost, sometimes you get no more than you pay for, and compromise can be money wasted.

What about a line array with woofer/subwoofer support. Not sure how the high ceiling would affect it though. It may cost more than the OP wants to pay.

Well, you can't reasonably make an 'infinite' array with such a high ceiling, so it seems to me that ideally would need to 'fly' them like at a live concert for best overall performance, which in turn means assuming ~4pi loading and all the extra size/cost of the rigging and doubling to quadrupling the number of drivers, power required depending on the driver's efficiency.

Then again maybe a tilted down 'infinite' array can be made to work, but still will require an incredible number of drivers to make it ~30*0.707 = ~21.21 Ft long plus any extra to maintain the ratio when tilted. :eek:

Not looking too good an option, sorry. :(

GM

Agreed, although if we modify the suggestion to one of Don Keele's CBT arrays, either physically or electrically curved, then it may be more practical. Need a fair few drivers & LF support so it doesn't run out of steam though as they don't have the same power-handling as a quasi-infinite / nearfield array, so from a cost POV probably pushing the budget.

Last edited:
I have been holding any reply to this thread until the subject of a CBT arose. My Modified CBT24 project would be the perfect solution to the original poster's large room. You can read about my project in this thread:

My New Line Array--It's a Modified CBT24

My living room for the Modified CBT is 32' long by 23' wide and peaks to an apex of 18' height. Hence, it is a large space that needs directional control to attain optimal sound. The CBT array effectively minimizes any sound that would reflect from the tall ceiling so the sound is very controlled.

My project uses more expensive SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5 inch diameter drivers but if the originator builds the Parts Express Epique CBT24 kit (P-E #301-984), the originator would have $500 left for a subwoofer and finishing supplies.

You can read about the Epique CBT24 at:

Sound Solutions Vol. 6: EPIQUE by Dayton Audio - CBT24 and

Epique CBT24K Line Array Speaker Kit Pair

Also read the Sound and Vision review of the CBT24 at:

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/301-982--sound-vision-cbt24-review-8-2017.pdf

Good luck on your project.

Jim

I have for the last few months been listening to the Fane 15 inch full range with a Fane 15 inch low frequency driver on a 60x100 cm open baffle. I'm using a miniDSP to roll off the bass driver and an analog parametric eq on the full ranger. The 15 was a little harsh at first but over time has smoothed out and with a bit of eq delivers an effortless, full bodied sound that I find very appealing. The compromise is high frequency extension and dispersion but an efficient dome tweeter could help there. Big driver sound is addictive and now I can't imagine going back to a 6 inch bass driver. The Fanes are inexpensive and will fill a big room with a watt or two.

I agree. Big drivers move a lot of air, with only a little excursion.
Finally got my second set of BG Neo 10 midranges, and am finishing installing them on a 24.5"*60" baffle, vertically arrayed beneath a BG Neo 8PDR, and beside 3 Celestion 1525e.
Got one running last night, with just the one 15", actively crossovers: big sounds beautiful, and effortless, even with just 15 class a watts to the planars!

I usually like suggestions about line arrays, but a couple of things from the OP's first post steer me away.

It looks like this will be the first foray into the DIY world and DIY building. Line arrays wouldn't be my first choice if it was my first try at this. They are an exercise in patience and repetitive motions. Plus, the electrical shading or the extensive EQ/DRC needed could be complex for a first build.

Then, the mention of the speakers sounding good all over the room, and also way over at the dining table. My own experience with line arrays tell me otherwise.

My vote would be for a sizeable Open Baffle setup.
They are easy to build, and easy to match the design of the room if done tastefully.
Since OBs need room to breathe, the size of the living room is a good thing, and since the sound radiates, it is likely to sound better at the dining table as well.

As a first build, an easy approach would be the Widow Maker III from Manzanita. It's got the big drivers for moving air, and it also has flair... something that could bring a nice discussion with guests along the listening part.

WIdow Maker III | Manzanita

That would be my vote ... or something similar. I picked this one as it is already well thought of, and has great feedback from its users.

rs=w:400,cg:true

perceval,

I agree that a DIY build completely from the elements would be an effort for the originator. But the P-E Epique CBT24 kit has a pre-terminated wiring harness so the builder would have to mount the drivers and then connect the wires. Hence, assembly should be straight forward plus he has access to help if he needs it.

Jim

This part I wholeheartedly agree with since it the best overall option to fill in below a [large] mids - up waveguide [horn] system, but figured it would put it too far over budget.

GM

I think that it is possible to fit within a bugget, he needs a pair of decent fullragers, and a bunch of woofers that are not necessarily that expensive. Two amps, active crossover...well, it's still worth it :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.